SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello fellow R fans. 3 months ago I bought a stock Ti/Nordkap '04 V70R with 155k. I have driven a 145 for the last 15 years so this is a big change and I have much to learn! Having some rare disposable income I decided to go for it and mod everything short of opening up the engine right off the bat. I figure when she is ready for a rebuild I can go more extreme if I want at that point.
I wasn't planning to do a thread so I don't have as many photos of the process as I'd like but I'll add what I have and get some more after shots as well.

I replaced many stock components due to wear and to foster future peace of mind, I'll cover that later in the thread.
Here is the upgrade list.

Chassis:
18x8 TSW Nurmburgrings with Conti Extreme Contact DWS 06
KW V2 Coilovers (will probably add the HLS height adjustment kit later)
Kaplhenke Upper perches and adjustable mounts
IPD Swaybars
Steinjager adjustable end links
IPD adjustable toe rods
IPD HD control arms
Kaplhenke delrin subframe bushings
IPD engine torque mount and poly upper mount
UR chassis braces front and rear
UR front tower brace
VST rear cross brace
techna fit braided brake lines (still deliberating pad upgrades)

Engine:
Viva Hybrid K24 turbo
Forge wastegate actuator and CBV
do88 Stock mount intercooler
Snabb charge pipes
Snabb intake
Snabb 4" MAF
Snabb cold air box w/ AEM dry filter (modded to reduce size, added full thermal blanket, R kelly intake)
do88 Aluminum radiator
Silicone coolant hoses
Silicone vacuum/PCV hoses
Mishimoto dual oil catch cans
Snow Stage 2 water/meth system
EV14 630cc injectors
Aeromotive stealth 340 fuel pump
IP coilpacks
Viva 3" catted downpipe (ceramic coated)
Ray performance exhaust (res and muffler)
Ceramic coated Volvo manifold ported to match turbo
Ceramic coated heat shields with additional shielding material
standard stage 0 replacements
Hilton stage 3 tune

Misc:
TWM shortshifter
TWM M1 shift knob
Snabb delrin shifter bushings

Cosmetic:
IPD front lip
Eurosport tunning projector headlights upgraded to HID

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Personally I think there is a lot on your list that is just a waste of money, and some of it that would be money well spent. Then again if you love spending big bucks on things that will contribute 0% to making your car faster or handle better, knock yourself out. If not you might want to avoid some of the useless stuff like the rear tower brace (doesn't do anything that the deck under the rear window isn't already doing) and the catch can. The effectiveness of trying to ceramic coat and insulate everything is very debatable as well. I'm also not a big fan of all aluminum aftermarket radiators since they have a long track record of failing faster than OEM ones do.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As I bought her:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its a V so the rear brace does help. In a turbo system thermal management can make a lot of difference and costs very little. I have seen plenty of stock rads fail and its always the plastic side tanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And I'm pretty sure the induction charge does not benefit from a bunch of oil vapor either...

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
You do realize the car has a rear subframe, right? There is nothing to brace back there, the shocks are connected to the rear LCA, its not like the front strut towers that receive lateral forces from the wheels. Those rear braces are the biggest rip off for the R I've seen on these forums, but some people never want to think about what they are supposed to be doing.

Also, I've seen before and after dyno numbers for coated plumbing that never demonstrated an increase in power. I've also seen stock uncoated plumbing and turbos last a quarter million miles, so once again a lot of hype without any real data to back it up.

I've seen a lot of all aluminum radiators not even last several years of road use, and most OEM systems last decades and hundreds of thousands of miles. What matter is the failure rate, and all aluminum aftermarket rads have a very bad track record.

Your choice though, thought you might be here for some input instead of just sharing your internet wish list for your project. Its good you've done your homework, but it seems you've been caught up in some of the hype for useless R mods.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
That's what the oil separator is for in your stock PCV system, to keep oil mist out of the intake. A tight R should be consuming less than a quart every 4,000 miles or so, I can leave you to do the math on how much oil that means your system might be getting past the rings, valves and PCV system into your mix per mile. If you think you need a catch can for that then it goes to point out the whole useless mod thing I'm trying to point out to you, but hang an unneeded can in your engine compartment if you think it will make you faster somehow though it wont.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks for the extra salty welcome to Swedespeed! Its not a wish list, Its already built and I'm doing this for those who were interested. This is just a start to the thread and as I said I am very new to the car but I'm not clueless. Its sad that you are only criticizing the cheaper mods and my personal budget, I was hoping for a break from the Turbobricks crowd.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Family shot shortly after I got her, the winglets didn't last long!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The tiny garage at my grandparents house where all the magic happened! Tight, dark and hot.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
I guess I misread that part that said you had much to learn, since you are just here to tell and not open to any advice. Not usually the way learning works, so go ahead and tell and I will no longer bother to try and help you out.

And as long as you are here just to tell, do you have a dyno sheet or track time to demonstrate the effectiveness of these mods?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Advice? All you offer is criticism. How about what I should do? What I have done right? What else I should do to optimize these mods? Craping on questionably effective things that have already been done does not help me.

I'm not here to prove anything, just share.

I'd appreciate anyone else's input because I'm losing the desire to post.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The business end of the garage.

Shifter cable housing mount modified for proper alignment with TWM short shifter arm.

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
Dude, I crapped on useless mods and I told you why. Your intro made it sound like this was a work in progress, but I now that its clear this is a past tense project you don't want to hear that some of your decisions may not have been well vetted.

For a guy who says he has a lot to learn, you don't react well to valid constructive criticism.

Perhaps you should check out my mod thread below to see how its done, and how to not be so overly defensive when members post valid opposing opinions about what is a good mod and what is not.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Valid or not I hear nothing constructive, and as I said I'm not trying to tell anyone "how its done".

·
Registered
997 Posts
Perhaps you should check out my mod thread below to see how its done
What a pathetic comment coming from a guy who ruined a perfectly good set of pegs by painting red stripes on them LOL. Give this guy a break, he's got an impressive list of mods for having the car for 3 months.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Nice car man !

You definatly went up a lot faster than me on the mods list, i am more about doing maintenance right now as my $ is limited due to lack of work atm where i live. Do you have a boost gauge ? how much PSI are you boosting ?

Cheers !:)

·
Registered
8,055 Posts
What a pathetic comment coming from a guy who ruined a perfectly good set of pegs by painting red stripes on them LOL. Give this guy a break, he's got an impressive list of mods for having the car for 3 months.
My point of how its done is that when someone disagrees with me about my mods on my own mod thread I'm not a big baby about it. I just disagree and move on instead of taking it as some personal affront as was done above. Your own crying is duly noted, as well as your own hypocrisy to think my criticism of certain mods is in bad taste but your is fine and dandy.

I will now pipe down since the OP demands that there be no critical opinion on his thread, I'd hate to hurt so many feelings by reminding people that some mods like the rear 'strut' brace is bull**** that does nothing but add a few extra lbs to the rear end of your car, lol.

God forbid I try to 'learn' someone there are no struts on the rear of his R.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My point of how its done is that when someone disagrees with me about my mods on my own mod thread I'm not a big baby about it. I just disagree and move on instead of taking it as some personal affront as was done above. Your own crying is duly noted, as well as your own hypocrisy to think my criticism of certain mods is in bad taste but your is fine and dandy.

I will now pipe down since the OP demands that there be no critical opinion on his thread, I'd hate to hurt so many feelings by reminding people that some mods like the rear 'strut' brace is bull**** that does nothing but add a few extra lbs to the rear end of your car, lol.

God forbid I try to 'learn' someone there are no struts on the rear of his R.
If you don't think the wagon can benefit from some bracing in the rear, I would guess you've never driven one. The only bull**** here is in your posts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for sharing Andrew! Keep updating this thread as you keep working on your caR, I love reading about ongoing projects and the decision making process and installation that goes on. I'm sure there's plenty of others that haven't spoken up that would want you to keep updating us.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts