SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 40 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll be sure to watch your thread.

Might have to address some brake and motor issues before I get time to fully drop the subframe and tackle front suspension, and do things right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
707 Posts
I just dropped the whole front end out of my T5 for the manual swap (plus extras). Make sure you plan for scope creep when you get to that point. There are so many "While I'm in there" possibilities.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
You are all really good at helping me spend money. Just placing another order for all things brakes.....

·
Registered
15,364 Posts
You are all really good at helping me spend money. Just placing another order for all things brakes.....
You came to the wrong forum if you wanted to cut corners lol

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
You came to the wrong forum if you wanted to cut corners lol
All good - I expected a full restoration, so this doesn't come as a surprise.

In a stunning turn of events, the 850R has just become my main form of transformation. Was replacing an idler pulley on my other car and the retainer bolt was partially stripped when I removed it - looks like PO had forced it in previously. Another car, another parts order...

·
Registered
32 Posts
I hope you got some more lug bolts to go with the new wheels, which look real nice. The oil buildup on the right side is an indication of oil cooler line leakage. The brake rotor looks so-so but could use a good wire brush and a new locator pin. :). The control arm bushings are on their last legs. If the PS isn't leaking a lot, flush it with Mobile 1 ATF. Flush the tranny with the same stuff.

I would try a detailer for shampooing the seats and deep cleaning the carpets. If the dents are really bad, get a new hood(black) at the P&P along with the fenders and liners.

The stock brakes seem to work just fine for me (1995 855T), OEM on the rear and Zimmerman on the front. Bleed the brakes, sounds like there hasn't been any maintenance in at least 10 years.

I have spent $2K on my car in the last 5 years, it is now reliable. A local Volvo mechanic suggested that I replace the receiver/drier as it is rusted through, perhaps next spring. Lots of luck, have fun, don't add SPEED junk, and keep the Porsche!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Hit the junkyard this morning and scored: lug nuts, passenger side molding, rear hatch weather stripping, a functional ash tray, new arm rest, window switches, and some other goodies. FCP order should be here in the next few days and I can finally change fluids and start to get a baseline for maintenance.

The seats are....gross. There’s no other way to put it. I’m doing my damn best to clean the interior up, but it might be on the way out if the chemicals, and carpet cleaner can’t put a bigger dent into the damage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk in

·
Registered
391 Posts
Check out these folks - lseat.com You might be able to match the front seats.

·
Registered
15,364 Posts
Elwood Industries has the proper R skins.

Normal skins won't fit over R cushions.

The seat skins are the only thing worth saving because they are R specific. That carpet is disgusting. Replace all of it with carpet from a MY99.5+ V70. You want the later carpet because it was revised mid-99 and doesn't turn pink anymore. Watch out for oak interior; that's not the same.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Elwood Industries has the proper R skins. Normal skins won't fit over R cushions.
Lseats has the skins for the R models.

·
Registered
15,364 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking about getting a set "just in case". Looks like they only have the fronts.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Elwood Industries has the proper R skins.

Normal skins won't fit over R cushions.

The seat skins are the only thing worth saving because they are R specific. That carpet is disgusting. Replace all of it with carpet from a MY99.5+ V70. You want the later carpet because it was revised mid-99 and doesn't turn pink anymore. Watch out for oak interior; that's not the same.
will V70 XC carpet work as well? Looks like there's a 2000 at the JY

·
Registered
16,071 Posts

·
Registered
15,364 Posts

·
Registered
15,364 Posts
That carpet looks salvageable. I would just take it out completely and hose it down with some dish soap and scrub it with a brush. But updating to 99.5+ carpet would still be the ultimate win since it is slightly pink although I have seen far worse. You've done 95% of the work to remove the carpet by removing the seats.

I Think you should probably replace those front skins. How does the foam feel? Nice and firm or kinda droopy and unsupportive?

·
Registered
391 Posts
I Think you should probably replace those front skins.
Replace the fronts and call it a day. How bad were the rear bottoms?

·
Registered
15,364 Posts
I would also be inclined to have a local upholstery shop (if you have any good local ones) give you a quote and then they could take a look at the rear bottoms too.

Here's the link to Elwood just so you have all the info http://elwoodindustries.com/850Rseats.html

21 - 40 of 108 Posts