SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
15,364 Posts
What is the consensus on shocks for daily highway driving? It seems like the Bilstein HD shocks are good but what do people think? This car is on stock springs (probably?) and I’m willing to replace them if anyone has any recommendations but I would like the ride height to stay roughly the same.
Hahahahahha nnnooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooo to Bilstein HDs around here. My T-5R came with them and they were beyond unbearable. The paint in my shock towers has stress cracks from them. However, they were good when I was riding around the Netherlands in an 850 with them lol. But setting up our cars here the way the Europeans do just isn't a viable strategy.

For best comfort (and improved handling): Sachs up front and Bilstein TC in the rear paired with H&R springs. This is 100% what I would do unless I needed to carry heavy loads often.

For best load capacity: factory 850R suspension (yellow marked Volvo springs all around with Sachs up front and sport Nivomats in the rear). If you don't want to spend $ on Nivomats but need load carrying, Bilstein TC paired with Lesjofors 9140099HD can be substituted with acceptable results.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Hahahahahha nnnooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooo to Bilstein HDs around here. My T-5R came with them and they were beyond unbearable. The paint in my shock towers has stress cracks from them. However, they were good when I was riding around the Netherlands in an 850 with them lol. But setting up our cars here the way the Europeans do just isn't a viable strategy.

For best comfort (and improved handling): Sachs up front and Bilstein TC in the rear paired with H&R springs. This is 100% what I would do unless I needed to carry heavy loads often.

For best load capacity: factory 850R suspension (yellow marked Volvo springs all around with Sachs up front and sport Nivomats in the rear). If you don't want to spend $ on Nivomats but need load carrying, Bilstein TC paired with Lesjofors 9140099HD can be substituted with acceptable results.
Phew good save then. What would you consider heavy? My dog is 80lbs and in the back every day plus I would be afraid to pigeon hole myself since this is an everyday car. A little better comfort and handling is always welcome though if the load capacity isn’t too limiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,364 Posts
Phew good save then. What would you consider heavy? My dog is 80lbs and in the back every day plus I would be afraid to pigeon hole myself since this is an everyday car. A little better comfort and handling is always welcome though if the load capacity isn’t too limiting.

I don't think 80lb would be an issue at all. My friend who built the first car to run this suspension setup told me he once moved something like 800lbs of gear for his band in his 98 V70 T5M with it. If your heavy load carrying needs are occasional, I wouldn't be worried about it; it just wouldn't be my first choice of suspension if I was going to be moving loads like that regularly and/or long distances.

That setup was so good that we've since built 3 or 4 more cars that way. Aforementioned friend is now back in the Volvo game with the Nautic 99 T5M and went with the same setup again. I put it in my white 850R and loved it, as does my friend I sold it to. Every time I ride with either of them I am reminded how much I miss that suspension lol. Luckily I'll have H&R coming to my 850R this spring :thumbup:.

Also make sure you get the H&Rs for estate! Sedan/coupé is different.

·
Registered
16,071 Posts
I don't think 80lb would be an issue at all. My friend who built the first car to run this suspension setup told me he once moved something like 800lbs of gear for his band in his 98 V70 T5M with it. If your heavy load carrying needs are occasional, I wouldn't be worried about it; it just wouldn't be my first choice of suspension if I was going to be moving loads like that regularly and/or long distances.

That setup was so good that we've since built 3 or 4 more cars that way. Aforementioned friend is now back in the Volvo game with the Nautic 99 T5M and went with the same setup again. I put it in my white 850R and loved it, as does my friend I sold it to. Every time I ride with either of them I am reminded how much I miss that suspension lol. Luckily I'll have H&R coming to my 850R this spring :thumbup:.

Also make sure you get the H&Rs for estate! Sedan/coupé is different.
Wagon H&R pn is 29955.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Does anyone have pictures of the ride height using the H&R springs? I would like it to stay toughly as it is now, my other 850R is on IPD springs and I want this car to have more clearance than that.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Does anyone have pictures of the ride height using the H&R springs? I would like it to stay toughly as it is now, my other 850R is on IPD springs and I want this car to have more clearance than that.

Also will the 16” turbo wheels clear 302mm brakes? The 280s are still like new but I’d upgrade down the road if they’ll clear.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
The Perfo wheels from S/V70 T5 will fit 302mm brakes, the Columba turbo wheels from 850s do not.

Perfos with 302s:

Here's a friend's 850R sedan on H&Rs with Koni Yellow shocks. I'd say they lower about 20-25mm. My IPD springs lowered my 850R by 35-40mm

Compare to the IPD springs, which totally eliminated the wheel gap

·
Registered
16,071 Posts

H&R, sachs fronts and bilstein tc rears.

Looks great, rides even better.

·
Registered
15,364 Posts
Also will the 16” turbo wheels clear 302mm brakes? The 280s are still like new but I’d upgrade down the road if they’ll clear.

Don't wait! Get 302s and Hawk pads ASAP! Don't learn the hard way like I did.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Thanks for the pictures I think that does it, H&R springs it will be. I crawled under the back and the Nivomats are looking tired for sure, I’ll do the swap when my summer wheels go on.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Don't wait! Get 302s and Hawk pads ASAP! Don't learn the hard way like I did.
I think I am going to hold out, the 302s won’t clear my winter wheels so I’ll at least be waiting until spring. I have put the 280s to the test serval times and they are at least completely adequate for the regular driving I do. The black car is getting upgraded as soon as its de-winterized so no need to worry there.

·
Registered
15,364 Posts
I think I am going to hold out, the 302s won’t clear my winter wheels so I’ll at least be waiting until spring. I have put the 280s to the test serval times and they are at least completely adequate for the regular driving I do. The black car is getting upgraded as soon as its de-winterized so no need to worry there.

I used to think I didn't need 302s because I don't usually drive that hard. Then a deer changed my mind. Always strive be ahead of the curve on paper so that you're as prepared as possible when reality unexpectedly catches up with you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
very good info guys! JaredR thanks for the info on springs and shocks. I have been looking at H&R. Why not Sachs in the back? Bilstein firmer?

·
Registered
15,364 Posts
very good info guys! JaredR thanks for the info on springs and shocks. I have been looking at H&R. Why not Sachs in the back? Bilstein firmer?
Yeah Bilstein TC works a little better for estate in the rear since it's slightly heavier than sedan

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
I had the timing belt, tensioner, PCV breather box and the respective hoses replaced today at a local dealership.

Before you ask- yes, they did take me to dinner first.

Images of mangled rods and pistons have been dancing in my head and I was sick of it. The PCV hoses were very hard and the glove test showed neutral pressure at best, plus I do not know when it was last done and I would hate to develop a rear main seal leak if I can help prevent it. I don't have any independent shops around that I would trust 100% and I wasn't going to have time to tackle on my own until the spring so this felt like the most sensible choice. I think the cost was worth the piece of mind and I am fine with it.

I had them do a multi-point inspection as well to see what laundry list they could come up with and I was pleasantly surprised, not much. They noted the turbo and the power steering system in several locations were slightly seeping which I was aware of. They are both very minor and don't have me worried yet, I am keeping an eye out and might put in some Lucas power steering stop leak as that has done really well for me in the past.

It was also pointed out that the front axles have started leaking grease on both sides at the CV joints, this I have not noticed yet but its almost time for an oil change so I will take a good look then. I was told this was still minor as well and they should have plenty of mileage left on them but since they are on back order from Volvo I should start looking at after market options; Any suggestions?

They told me my fog lamp housings are all jacked up which I also knew, I am in the market if anyone has a set of spares laying around.

All in all I have no complaints. The piece of mind is nice and I didn't even have to de-winterize the other 855R, they gave me a 2020 XC40 to whip around in for a couple days.

·
Registered
15,364 Posts
Before you ask- yes, they did take me to dinner first.
LOL

As for axles, don't go aftermarket. Take them to Ben/Rolling Motors and have him reboot them. Or grab some with good boots from the JY. Easy score at any yard that keeps the cars up off the ground. I can keep on the lookout next time I go, too, if you don't find any before then.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
LOL

As for axles, don't go aftermarket. Take them to Ben/Rolling Motors and have him reboot them. Or grab some with good boots from the JY. Easy score at any yard that keeps the cars up off the ground. I can keep on the lookout next time I go, too, if you don't find any before then.
What JYs do you go to? There are very few up here that I am aware of.

·
Registered
37 Posts
There’s a junkyard in Belmont, NH, that might be worth checking into.

As for an independent shop, you might consider Duncan’s European in Londonderry. Not super-close to Dover, but they are great.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
There’s a junkyard in Belmont, NH, that might be worth checking into.

As for an independent shop, you might consider Duncan’s European in Londonderry. Not super-close to Dover, but they are great.
I’ll look into those thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
15,364 Posts
What JYs do you go to? There are very few up here that I am aware of.
I only really know the southern NE JY scene, but if you wanna come down this way I can point you to some good stuff. Or if you wanna come get in on a JY adventure at some point maybe we could set that up too.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts