SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

21 - 40 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
15,447 Posts
I've seen that picture of B's T5 and it's awful, but you're right - it folded and took the impact where it needed to.
Get a P2 S60 2.5T for a winter beater. AWD if you want because it's super common and works pretty well but still get real winter tires obviously so you can stop. Super super safe when someone hits you and easy to settle with insurance since there's no real collector value and it'll be easy to replace. Ever seen a crashed P2? It's incredible. I know a guy who hit a telephone pole about in line with the passenger headlight in his S60 at like 50mph. No intrusion to the safety cage at all. An 850 wouldn't hold up anywhere near that well in a small overlap crash at that speed. I've seen plenty of other examples of hard hits in the JY equally incredible, although I didn't know the exact circumstances around those crashes.

·
Registered
15,447 Posts
Decent P2 wagons are cheap now. Just have to I&RAN and it will serve well. You should see the picture of the s60 - it's pretty incredible.
Damn sounds like a tank. I’ll have to look more into those. I am missing having a truck bed much less than I was anticipating, you can really load up these wagons.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16,071 Posts
Damn sounds like a tank. I’ll have to look more into those. I am missing having a truck bed much less than I was anticipating, you can really load up these wagons.

That’s the car Jared was talking about. There’s a very very good reason we all drive Volvo’s.

·
Registered
15,447 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
My battery light is staying illuminated for a few moments when turning the car off; could this be a bad ground or something? The battery was replaced in March but it’s a cheap one. No engine codes aside from the misfire on the drive back. It does seem like it is shifting roughly into second in as well but I’ll try paying closer attention tomorrow.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Definitely is intermittently staying in first and second too long, over 3k when gently accelerating, and then roughly shifts up. Sometimes shifts completely smooth and where you would expect in the rmp range, not sure whats up there...

·
Registered
16,071 Posts
Definitely is intermittently staying in first and second too long, over 3k when gently accelerating, and then roughly shifts up. Sometimes shifts completely smooth and where you would expect in the rmp range, not sure whats up there...

Drain and fill time. Do it cold so you can measure the drained volume and refill with the same.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Funny, you're just around the corner from me. Bought a Red '97 850R 5-speed swapped sedan last year, and will be selling it soon. I was going to use it as a classic that I could drive in the winter without feeling bad, but I just couldn't bring myself to expose it to salt (FL/WA car until now). Will be interesting to see how your experience goes.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Funny, you're just around the corner from me. Bought a Red '97 850R 5-speed swapped sedan last year, and will be selling it soon. I was going to use it as a classic that I could drive in the winter without feeling bad, but I just couldn't bring myself to expose it to salt (FL/WA car until now). Will be interesting to see how your experience goes.
Small world...I still haven’t seen another 850R in the wild but I’ll keep my eye out.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Started flushing the transmission today

Not sure what is typical but the plug definitely had a good amount of gunk on the magnet.

The old fluid looked dark and pretty nasty. I measured what came out and replaced it with this stuff.

After driving ~70 miles I drained and refilled the transmission and will repeat one last time in the next day or so. So far the improvement has been very significant, it is shifting much smoother and more predictable than before.

The abs light is intermittently coming on and off and I have seen the tracs light come on at least once but I haven’t felt any discernible problems.

·
Registered
15,364 Posts
your ABS module is toast get a rebuilt one from Midwest ABS.....no it is not worth trying to rebuild it yourself

·
Registered
155 Posts
your ABS module is toast get a rebuilt one from Midwest ABS.....no it is not worth trying to rebuild it yourself
+1 here mine was out when I bought it and Midwest is quality and very easy to work with especially for the price.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
+1 here mine was out when I bought it and Midwest is quality and very easy to work with especially for the price.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Yes I am definitely getting one of those, much less expensive than I was anticipating.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
current mileage: 257,490

Not bad, I am pretty happy with that. I wont stress about the timing belt since its 4 years old with less than 20,000 miles on it.

I borrowed a co-workers phone at lunch and used the 850 OBD-ii app, very easy- I am glad someone took the time to code that up.

·
Registered
15,364 Posts
current mileage: 257,490

Not bad, I am pretty happy with that. I wont stress about the timing belt since its 4 years old with less than 20,000 miles on it.

I borrowed a co-workers phone at lunch and used the 850 OBD-ii app, very easy- I am glad someone took the time to code that up.
replace the timing belt unless you know what parts it was done with. don't let this happen to you

https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...V70-N-A-M56H&p=7243805&viewfull=1#post7243805

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Winter Update: I picked up a set of 16'' turbo twist wheels, wrapped them in new Bizzak WS90 tires, and now the car is great in the snow. I am going to be daily driving it through the winter and after testing on the snow we got today I have no worries so long as I can avoid the crazies.

·
Registered
25 Posts
very nice car. Mine is also a red wagon but not as clean as yours. I never see any 850R/s around here and I hate being in any type of traffic with mine. I always see people texting. I prefer to drive it in the early am or at night when few other cars are around:)

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
very nice car. Mine is also a red wagon but not as clean as yours. I never see any 850R/s around here and I hate being in any type of traffic with mine. I always see people texting. I prefer to drive it in the early am or at night when few other cars are around:)
Thank you, I am yet to see another 850R in the wild as well although I know there are a few in the area. I drive a lot, ~20,000+ miles a year, and I do my best to be defensive but the distracted driving is everywhere and super hard to avoid. I was in a really bad motorcycle accident caused by an f150 driver who wasn’t paying attention and was fully in the wrong lane as I came around a tight corner; I totally get your frustration.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
What is the consensus on shocks for daily highway driving? It seems like the Bilstein HD shocks are good but what do people think? This car is on stock springs (probably?) and I’m willing to replace them if anyone has any recommendations but I would like the ride height to stay roughly the same.

21 - 40 of 95 Posts