SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No real surprise, but an inevitable part of R ownership. Was under the car today, inspecting various bushing (hoping for an excuse to buy a new IPD billet mount, probably!) and decided to try the ol' Jim Lill test. Put one front wheel on the ground, one in the air, and turn the one in the air...and the driveshaft doesn't turn. :(

Car goes under the knife as soon as parts get here...just ordered angle gear reseal kit, collar gear, viva lightweight flywheel, a volvo oem clutch, new slave cylinder, and some assorted fluids. I'm planning on doing shocks and some suspension stuff in the spring...but is there anything else I should do while the car is apart? It's a bummer when it happens to your car...but its not like we never see it coming.

$1500 in parts already ordered...did I miss anything noteworthy?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I wasn't sure...and figured I'm due for a new clutch and flywheel soon anyways. Does any of the front diff apparatus have to come out to do the clutch job? Or are they separate enough that there's no savings in labor either way doing them at two different times?

Thanks.

EDIT: For the benefit of others doing this job...after some more research, it's clear that the angle gear is in the way to do the clutch job. Sounds like doing the angle gear work while the clutch is being done makes sense...but that if you're only doing the angle gear (because your clutch/flywheel situation is fine), there's no reason do take the transmission out as well. In my case, I need both done, and doing them at the same time seems to make more sense than doing them both a few weeks apart....assuming you have the time and money.

...now if I only had enough of both left over to put in that purdy Quaife LSD....

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
Rear main seal if you do the clutch and flywheel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts