SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well lets just say based on the 5 series BMW and the BMW SUV that I park next to, along with a Mercedes, a 400-horsepower Jag Portfolio, another Mercedes, and an Audi, I don't think I would get there last in a race, driving my little ole 2005 Volvo turbo.

I don't think either of the BMWs match up well, I'm outpowered by the other cars but not by all that much. The Jag Portfolio is pretty ridiculous when it comes to power, heck it has an all aluminum chassis AND body too. I'm parking in pretty good company, I know they're looking at my Volvo, ha ha. Caught one guy looking in the rear window the other day, had the vinyl privacy cover up, everything looked clean as a whistle, little did he know I was hauling a large farm grade come-along, with some tools, and 50-feet of polyester 1/2" rope. :cool:

regards,

P

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your Volvo is probably paid for unlike the others.
Ha !! You are so right.......I think all the other cars are leased actually, maybe the Jag is owned outright. The guy with the BMW at left does not have a clue about what it is or how to drive it, he just knows he should have it for status, lol. My XC had 66,000 on the odometer, it drives beautifully, cost me less than half what everyone else would have paid (if they were purchased and not leased). I'm happy as a clam, tooling in with this ride, sunglasses on, big smile, stereo on, and yes it does snow here in central Tennessee too. One day this winter one of the guys actually got stuck on flat ground due to the ice, and his car apparently slid off the road slowly into the median, just sitting there. It looked so funny when I drove by in my wife's XC90, could not figure for the life of me how he got "stuck" there (we recognized his car). It was a case of operator error, inferior equipment, and yes very slippery roads too.

All of the 70 series wagons are awesome cars.......one of Volvos best designs, functional, fast, minimalist design philosophy, great proportions, very nice. I love mine.

best,

P

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
I think that X5 is a little too old to still be on-lease, but no doubt, the owner is making $400+ payments on it USED.
Is that acoustic ceiling tile in a parking garage?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I think that X5 is a little too old to still be on-lease, but no doubt, the owner is making $400+ payments on it USED.
Is that acoustic ceiling tile in a parking garage?

Either paying or already did pay, either way it is $$$$$$ that is rather lavishly tossed, that i am glad I didn't. If I don't drive the volvo, here is what sits in my private parking space (executive parking under an office tower, the parking garage is out back) :) Yeah, I think it is an acoustic ceiling with hold down clips, building was built in 1984, a year after this 5-speed Porsche was built.

I have two other P-cars too by the way, and I actually prefer driving the Volvo. It is just so much easier to drive, more comfortable, very safe. The other day I encountered some goofball stopped dead in the road trying to wave with his arm in a curve so he could back up into traffic and get on the rural interstate ramp he just missed with his beat-up truck and trailer full of crap. I came rolling through a little faster than I should have, not expecting to see someone doing that on a section of road I knew like the back of my hand, and had I been driving the Porsche I may be in the hospital today. It would not have stopped, and neither did the Volvo. Where the Porsche would have either slid into the guy or very dangerously fishtailed around him potentially launching off into the armco and trees, I jammed on the brake in the Volvo and was able to steer around the guy with my foot fully on the brake. I had a split second to react. The car slowed down fast but I still had to steer into the oncoming lane to avoid hitting the guy, and yes there was a car coming the opposite direction. I had to thread the needle in an instant. So I pay more attention now and drive a bit slower in this section. The balance of the Volvo along with the ABS and the ability to steer with your foot on the brake is a huge safety feature.

Regards,

P

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Safety features are one of Volvo's main hallmarks.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Safety features are one of Volvo's main hallmarks.
A-Men BROTHER. You are preaching to the choir on this one. My first Volvo a 1963 544 Sport had seat belts. The safety features of their cars has ALWAYS been a big sell for me. I am always comforted knowing my wife leaves the house in one too. I would hate myself if I took the "cheaper" or "easier" route and put her in something less safe and she got hurt, perish the thought!

best,

P

1 - 7 of 7 Posts