SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So, I've been lurking around this forum for about two months, an in spite of that fact, I have just bought my first Volvo;). It is a 1998 red V70 T5. The car sat for two years before I bought it. The previous owner, Dan (super nice guy, BTW) bought himself an 850 wagon with a manual and parked this gem with 188K on the clock. Dan had all of the maintenance records for his time with the car. The timing belt was last done at just before 140K according to the sticker in the engine bay, and Dan had changed the oil at 3-5K intervals, right up 'till 186K as well. Currently the battery is flat, and so are a number of the tires, but after a quick charge she fired right up and the battery held a charge long enough to start her up again after sitting for 10 minutes or so. It is not blowing smoke of any color, the engine bay is very clean, no oil leaking that I could find. Dan has told me that it has a transmission fluid leak in hot weather, and it has a MAF Sensor issue as well that seems to crop up in many of the service reports. No signs of PCV trouble either.

I bought it without even driving it- the price was very right. I will be doing as much of the troubleshooting, maintenance and service myself as possible, the timing belt being #1 on the list as it has been sitting for 2 years. Just hope the trans is OK...

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
And so your project begins, still should consider doing a full stage zero, so you have a baseline. I'd also check for dried out hoses. If it wasn't stored properly as in full tank of gas, and fresh oil, you might consider draining and replacing all your fluids pronto.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice, Rsterns. All fluids are also high priority. The gas tank is pretty much empty, but the oil was changed about 2k prior to it being parked. Oil and trans flush and fill are right up there on the to do list. I'll also be looking around for a rear child seat setup, as my wife allowed me to replace our POS minivan with this beauty! My hope is that I can throw on some tires and drive the beastie the 38 miles home with a few stops to check the integrity of various parts. All of the hoses are in remarkably good shape based on aa visual and tactile inspection and the serpentine is in good shape too. We should know more in a week or so! As soon as I figure out a good site to use I'll get some photos posted.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
Was this car located in the Seacoast area of New Hampshire?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, it's the one you saw on Craigslist. It was in Exeter. I'm in Salem NH myself.

·
Registered
2,497 Posts
I couldn't remember what town it was in. Congrats. Once you get everything settled you' got yourself a nice ride for a steal of a price.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Woo Hoo! Got my temporary plates this morning! :partywave:Next step is to head over there this Saturday, free up the throttle and brakes, fill up the tires, and drive her home! Does anyone know offhand what the criteria is for posting pictures on this forum? I could put in links, but would rather just attach the images when I am able.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Woo Hoo! Got my temporary plates this morning! :partywave:Next step is to head over there this Saturday, free up the throttle and brakes, fill up the tires, and drive her home! Does anyone know offhand what the criteria is for posting pictures on this forum? I could put in links, but would rather just attach the images when I am able.
Good progress, for photos what I have found to work well is to set up an account at photobucket.com, upload your photos to a folder that you will create. Once that is done, you can directly copy the URL link for the photo via the insert image icon in the reply to thread tool bar.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice! Photobucket worked where Google Pictures did not. Thanks again for the tip!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Russ- Counting the minutes until I get to pick it up tomorrow. I am in for sitting through the loooongest dance class my daughters have ever had, followed up by a kids birthday party (not even my kid) before I can even see it again in person. But they are only young once, so a dad does.

·
Registered
17,316 Posts
You need two more perfo rims to fill out your set

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've actually got the fourth- it was in the back with that temp on the car. I brought it home and it held air for a couple of days- should get me between gas stations OK on the drive home tomorrow. If not, the spare goes back and we limp. A fifth to replace that temp would be nice, though...

·
Registered
17,316 Posts
One of those is a Columba. It's close but not an exact match. If you upgrade your brakes in the future it won't clear them when you rotate tires.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the tip- can't help but learn new stuff hanging out with you lot- I'll read up on them tonight (probably on here) and figure out what kind has been riding around in my wife's trunk tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
She's Home! Filled the tires, freed up the throttle, gave the right rear wheel a whack with a rubber mallet to free up a stuck caliper, and drove her ~40 miles! Oh, I also evicted a family of mice that had taken up residence in the airbox. The key got stuck in the ignition for a bit until I realized that a subtle right hand pressure on the steering wheel got it free. The ride home was a joy, but the Trans Temp light flashed 4 times during the drive, so that is something to look at. Bit of a clunk at the right front, but when I looked at it the first time the rubber bushing spun fairly freely so I was expecting a bearing replacement. Also found that after running for a bit I do have smoke from the oil dipstick, so PCV has moved up the "To Do" list. I'm thinking a full "Stage 0" over the next month will do wonders. However, I have to say that she just keeps running better. took a quick run to the convenience store for cola and I can honestly say it was a pleasure to be behind the wheel of such a fine automobile.

The check engine light has come on- I suspect that this is the MAF sensor issue that has been in many of the service records. I'll check the code tomorrow to verify and then begin the troubleshoot.

WHOOT!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry for the double post, but I had to mention that Dan, the previous owner, gave me a call when he got home to see how things went. Thanks Dan!

·
Registered
271 Posts
That's cool, glad you made it. Like I said, if you need anything, just LMK. I'd rather see an Volvo geek get the parts rather than see them crushed

·
Registered
2,497 Posts

·
Registered
17,316 Posts
Get the perfos. They clear bigger brakes and look better IMHO

1 - 20 of 30 Posts