SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Is there anybody out there on swedespeed that has experience/knowledge with older Mercedes-Benz mechanical? I have some questions regarding a 1984 190E with the 2.3, 8 valve.

This vehicle (among other things) is squirting oil up from a hose that comes from the valve cover and up into the air filter/housing. I have no idea why, and it makes a mess all over the engine bay.

Also, can you "top off" trans fluid in this car? Can you top off the tran fluid in any car for that matter?

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Don't own a Benz & I'm not a mechanic. Could be blow-by. If so piston rings etc..
Yes one can top up trans fluid. However the question would be why? It's best to completely change at proper interval unless you do more mileage than the norm.
Good luck eh!

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I am the same as Stev, though I will offer what I can.

If the transmission is an automatic, to my understanding, you should put the required amount and that is all. Automatics run using the pressure of the fluid. So, too much fluid, too much pressure and vice versa causing bad shifts and maybe blown gaskets. Manual transmission? I think it makes a much smaller difference.

And I agree with Stev, it sounds like a PCV hose, and your issue is likely related to blowby.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I think it's the piston rings. One more question... If the valve timing is off and the engine was running poorly, could that possible affect the way the transmission shifts?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
You might get the definitive answer here: http://mbworld.org/forums/190e-w201-60/

I've used that forum a bit (not for the w201) and it can be helpful but its not as nice as this one.

Nice car by the way. I've always liked the 190Es (especially the Cosworth). I'd hazard a bet that they're better built than the junk Mercedes is peddling today.

·
Premium Member
5,910 Posts
I'd hazard a bet that they're better built than the junk Mercedes is peddling today.
Agreed, but there was a lot less to go wrong with the older cars like 190s and 300s.

At the dealer I worked for in high school, we used a 300E that was traded in at some point for parts runs, jump starts, even a shuttle car when the ML we normally used was having a bad day. Customers absolutely loved it. The car had about 150k on it when I was there, and I know someone who worked there bought it eventually for their kid to learn to drive in.

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
You might get the definitive answer here: http://mbworld.org/forums/190e-w201-60/

I've used that forum a bit (not for the w201) and it can be helpful but its not as nice as this one.

Nice car by the way. I've always liked the 190Es (especially the Cosworth). I'd hazard a bet that they're better built than the junk Mercedes is peddling today.
Agreed, this is a nice forum. Good generally well informed courteous discussion. Is MBworld your preferred MB forum?

·
Registered
11 Posts
hey man! i have a trusted site for this kind of issues. see mercedes benz mechanic. they have a lot of cases and advices for repairs and when you want to search for mechanic or repair shops, you can just type in your location and see the nearest possible help for you. good luck bro!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts