SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe it's just me but I'm surprised by the amount of shudder or vibration transmitted through the steering wheel and chassis under medium to hard acceleration with this car.

I posted about it here a little while ago after an extended test drive I did. I've searched around and there doesn't seem to be anybody else complaining or mentioning it with either the v60 or s60....

Am I alone here?

I have to conclude it's a normal characteristic of this car but IMO it's pretty noticeable and kind of unrefined.

I'm coming from a long line of 2.0t/3.0 s/c and twin turbo v8's mostly Audi, so I've run the spectrum between 4,6 and 8 cylinders.

I do however really really like this car but this kind of stands out for me so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Drive - e ? Still doesn't sound right - the 3.0 l in line 6 is one of the smoothest engines on the road.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
There is a fair amount of vibration in ours. The upper portion of passenger seat vibrates at speed, same as in our Audi. We got used to it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There is a fair amount of vibration in ours. The upper portion of passenger seat vibrates at speed, same as in our Audi. We got used to it.
In my experience that usually speak to a rear wheel imbalance when the chair backs vibrate at highway speeds. Steering wheel vibrations are often related to front wheel imbalance.

The best way to isolate whether it's engine or drivetrain related vs a bad wheel is to take your foot off the gas and coast on the highway and see if it still vibrates. Or slide the car into neutral at speed. If the vibration stops when you take your foot off the gas or go into neutral it's not a bad wheel it's a drivetrain issue.

I'm talking with accelerating

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Maybe it's just me but I'm surprised by the amount of shudder or vibration transmitted through the steering wheel and chassis under medium to hard acceleration with this car.

I posted about it here a little while ago after an extended test drive I did. I've searched around and there doesn't seem to be anybody else complaining or mentioning it with either the v60 or s60....

Am I alone here?
I've noticed that in my S60 ever since I first test drove it. I also noticed it in all of the loaners I've had.
To this, I'd also like to add that the shudder feeds into the accelerator pedal a bit too. Also, when the road surface is crappy - I feel that in the pedal as well.
And, unrelated a bit, when wipers are on and my foot is on the break, I can feel every damn swipe :)

I just got used to all those things. My wife doesn't even notice it (never have).

·
Registered
42 Posts
You're not alone. I too have very minor steering wheel vibration; still have to isolate the cause (haven't had time to do any investigation).

·
Registered
80 Posts

Am I alone here?

I have to conclude it's a normal characteristic of this car but IMO it's pretty noticeable and kind of unrefined.

I'm coming from a long line of 2.0t/3.0 s/c and twin turbo v8's mostly Audi, so I've run the spectrum between 4,6 and 8 cylinders.

I do however really really like this car but this kind of stands out for me so far.

I have a 2015.5 V60 RD and thought there was an issue. Speeds from about 45-65 I could really feel more of the road then i liked. I had wheels rebalanced and had the volvo dealership try to diagnose. At the end of the day if they are the 19inch rims with low profile tires then the steering will feel more harsh. I am finally used to it after about 9000 miles.

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts

Am I alone here?

Is your car AWD?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I just turned 11,000 miles on my V60 T-6 RD, 19" wheels and have never noticed any vibration whether accelerating or coasting. I did put Michelin Super Sports (Summer Tires) on as soon as I left the dealership and just put on 19" Nokian Hakkapelitta 8's on for the winter. I thought they would be a bit harsh in the cold but they are very smooth and quiet.
Not knowing where you live I suggest you go to Discount Tire or another dedicated tire store and have them check the balance and verify the wheels are true. The last place I would use for tire work is the dealership.
FWIW.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
In my experience that usually speak to a rear wheel imbalance when the chair backs vibrate at highway speeds. Steering wheel vibrations are often related to front wheel imbalance.

The best way to isolate whether it's engine or drivetrain related vs a bad wheel is to take your foot off the gas and coast on the highway and see if it still vibrates. Or slide the car into neutral at speed. If the vibration stops when you take your foot off the gas or go into neutral it's not a bad wheel it's a drivetrain issue.

I'm talking with accelerating

Yes ours vibrates as you describe. The seatback isn't from a wheel imbalance in our case, every car we have had in the last 8 years has done this. I attribute it to the odd cylinder count.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
I've noticed that in my S60 ever since I first test drove it. I also noticed it in all of the loaners I've had.
To this, I'd also like to add that the shudder feeds into the accelerator pedal a bit too. Also, when the road surface is crappy - I feel that in the pedal as well.
And, unrelated a bit, when wipers are on and my foot is on the break, I can feel every damn swipe :)

I just got used to all those things. My wife doesn't even notice it (never have).

The brake master cylinder is located right next to the wipers, hence the vibration. Its a minor annoyance, but one that shouldnt occur on a car like this.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
The brake master cylinder is located right next to the wipers, hence the vibration. Its a minor annoyance, but one that shouldnt occur on a car like this.
It shouldn't, but it does. It's just one of those things where it'd be nice if it didn't happen, but also not a deal breaker.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The shutter or vibration I referred to is absolutely not attributable to a wheel imbalance.

As mentioned it's under medium to hard acceleration and clearly coming from the drivetrain.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The shutter or vibration I referred to is absolutely not attributable to a wheel imbalance.

As mentioned it's under medium to hard acceleration and clearly coming from the drivetrain.

I really think this is because of overly aggressive up-shifting logic that keeps engine rpm almost too low to save fuel. Probably as close to lugging as it can get. I found when I shift manually and don't let rpm drop below about 1700 it's extremely smooth.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Dude, why are you saying nobody else is complaining about it? We even responded to your previous post.... Assuming this is your same issue, many with T6 AWD's have had the shudder in the rear drive that is corrected by service Tech Journal 29457. Did you try a search on "shudder"?

Quote Originally Posted by qaz996 View Post
Not sure how bad of a shudder you are experiencing.

There is a TJ for this where the fix is to install spacers at the rear-most carrier bearing to adjust the angle of the propshaft. The car to which I applied this TJ had a very noticeable vibration under hard acceleration from a stop.
Quote Originally Posted by Bmo Pete
I would bet that this was the shudder he noticed. I've had it with both the V&S60 T6 RD's (both fixed under the TJ), and I suspect the XC60 T6 has it, I just don't drive it as much (wife's DD).
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showth...egarding-V60&p=2890137&viewfull=1#post2890137

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?228365-How-many-Miles-Kilometers-have-you-done&p=2502642&viewfull=1#post2502642

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?231033-Potential-New-2013-Volvo-s60-T6-R-Design-owner&p=2531544&viewfull=1#post2531544

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?223311-2014-s60-awd-problems-already&p=2448145&viewfull=1#post2448145

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?228952-Thinking-of-buying-a-v60-R-need-some-advice&p=2509032&viewfull=1#post2509032

http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?219802-New-Software&p=2418108&viewfull=1#post2418108

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Yikes. I totally missed that response in that thread I started.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Went back a read a few post and it seems you've had this applied (to one or more of your vehicles) and have been happy with the results. I will report this to the service department.

·
Registered
87 Posts
No vibration here '15.5 S60 in either seats, steering, or chassis. I do get lugging of the engine at light throttle especially up hill as the tranny is in too high a gear like driving a manual in 4 when you should be in 3. I keep the eco off for this reason.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
No vibration here '15.5 S60 in either seats, steering, or chassis. I do get lugging of the engine at light throttle especially up hill as the tranny is in too high a gear like driving a manual in 4 when you should be in 3. I keep the eco off for this reason.
Same same here with my '15...YMMV...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts