SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have asked, and have seen others ask about interest in Re-Designed early grilles that would fit the later front grille shell, and I am going to show you the relatively inexpensive and simple alternative.

The first thing I did, was to make a poster board template of the later grille shell hole.. I had a donor grille shell, but it could be done on the car, so you dont have to take the facia off the car.

After you use a marker to outline the hole, you will cut out the template of the later grille shell hole, which you will then be able to use the early grille to mark the new hole position, which will leave the actual piece of metal that you need to weld in the later facia.

If you flip the grill upside down on the template, you can then find the grilles reference position on the the later hole template.. This is relatively simple, because most of the upper and bottom of the early and late hole is the same.

I used a 4.5in angle grinder with a cut off wheel to cut out the piece from the sheet steel.

After that, you can put the new filler piece in place, and then you will have a bit of grinding to fine tune the fit. Once that is done, you can tack weld it all in place, and then do some finish grinding to make sure your new grille opening is the right size and contour.

Once you are satisfied with that, you can then add the inside boxing sheet metal, by rolling it and tacking as your continue around the new opening.

After all that is tacked in, keep checking your new grill opening, so you can make sure nothing has change during the postioning and tacking procedure. After you are insure the fit is where you want it, you can then do the finish welding, which is where I need to continue from the pics seen.

It appears with just a bit of hammering and grinding, along with just a bit of filler, the early grilles will fit nicely. I still have to make the mount tabs at a later date, but I will wait until I get the new opening finished out nicely, because that could change something if I made the tabs now.

My grilles are not the straightest at this moment, so I will need to locate some better ones to work with for the final fitment.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Not trying to pull over anything on anybody, but I did forget to point something out about this procedure, and I was reminded by another viewer that I need to disclose this information..

The grilles are actually on the opposite side, which isnt really that noticable, unless you have a trained eye. (Derek) LOL The early grilles fit better in the later facia, if they are on the opposite side, because you dont have to actually cut into the later facia panel. The early grilles dont level out correctly in the later facia, unless you drop them down too far, or you do some structural cutting to the later facia.

I had intented on mounting them in the OEM position, but in laying them out in their opposite positions, I noticed that the deeper ring side of the grille, actually complimented the center point/bulge of the hood and grille facia, because it added an additional appearance of depth to the center extension of the facia.. It may not be that noticable in the pictures, but it does make a difference in person.

Here are a couple of pictures to show what I am talking about when it comes to one side have more ring depth, and how it accents the center of the nose, rather than the fender.

Original Side

Opposite side, with the deeper grille ring accenting the center of the facia.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I am impressed how DIFFERENT the early grille and the late grille are! I have owned both era cars but never at the same time.
Many thanks for this info! BTW Greetings from Bartlesville!

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is a gentlemen I know which makes these:

They fit later style nose, but look somewhat similar to the early ones, sharp. Chromed fiberglass.

He takes $300 for the pair.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not a bad price and I have seen others discussing those, but from what I understand, they are not available? My only critisizm of those, is that they lack the depth the OEM has, but are by far more attractive than the later grilles.

·
Registered
7 Posts
He does other things for a living. But will sell them / make them as requested.

I've never seen them in person, but when you say the "lack the depth", then are you talking figuratively or literally?

Because if literally, they must be the same depth as the OEM, as otherwise they wouldn't be direct fit in.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He does other things for a living. But will sell them / make them as requested.

I've never seen them in person, but when you say the "lack the depth", then are you talking figuratively or literally?

Because if literally, they must be the same depth as the OEM, as otherwise they wouldn't be direct fit in.
I did mean literally, because they dont appear to reach in as deep, which gives them less of an inner lip. Dont get me wrong, I like them, I just prefer the original beasause of that. Here is what I am talking about, and if I think if you look at these original pics, you can see the depth difference. There is also a variance in the differnce of depth, depending on nose position, which helps accent the natural contours of the nose.

·
Registered
857 Posts
this is the guy that makes those grills. Could try sending him a message if interested. Ive spoken with him via email as well.

https://www.facebook.com/georgios.gianniotis
I saw them and I wasn't all that impressed. They appear to be decent quality but I expected them to be more like a reproduction early style grill and less like an aftermarket mesh thing.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I saw them and I wasn't all that impressed. They appear to be decent quality but I expected them to be more like a reproduction early style grill and less like an aftermarket mesh thing.
Agreed.

Im still staying with mine til one shows up on ebay or something, and then we can all fight over it hahah

·
Registered
232 Posts
I have asked, and have seen others ask about interest in Re-Designed early grilles that would fit the later front grille shell, and I am going to show you the relatively inexpensive and simple alternative.
I appreciate the post on this! It does seem somewhat inexpensive, but not exactly simple from where I sit. Maybe with a shop, the necessary tools, and the necessary experience its not so bad. I would have to have someone do all of that for me (not too mention bodywork and repainting). Im sure this was meant more for people with the know how anyways. Cool to see how you did it though!

·
Registered
324 Posts
I assume from his facebook page that the manufacturer lives in Greece. Personally I love the look, particularly the mesh. To each his own, obviously.

Keith, you mention that you have emailed Giorgios. Do you by chance have his email address?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts