SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

re-read the post about the analysis of failures on the original sleeve and there was the mention of the rust being a major accelerator for splines wear. If we can keep the water and contaminants out then with the grease applied the splines will have a much longer life.

I also realized that the sleeve is totally covered inside the AG mounting flange. Volvo added some O-rings around the sleeve but obviously that is not working as all AG I saw have a lot of rust in the area.

So how about sealing the flange to the transmission with RTV? Will that do it or are there other openings? Will that prevent later disassembly?

·
Registered
590 Posts
So how about sealing the flange to the transmission with RTV? Will that do it or are there other openings? Will that prevent later disassembly?
I think you would be better off finding a way to re-grease it on occasion, maybe packing it like you would a wheel bearing.... Then again you have a chance of introducing dirt and grime if you aren't careful to be clean....
The RTV would just war out with the constant movement.

Or just weld it....
https://forums.swedespeed.com/showt...-replace-another-AWD-collar-sleeve-EVER-again!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The RTV is supposed to seal the AG case to the transmission case not the sleeve itself. But w/o having the parts out I cannot tell if there are other holes through which water/vapor can get inside the space where the sleeve is.

·
Registered
6,570 Posts
The RTV is supposed to seal the AG case to the transmission case not the sleeve itself. But w/o having the parts out I cannot tell if there are other holes through which water/vapor can get inside the space where the sleeve is.
There are... technically stuff can work its way down the passenger axle shaft into that area... even though the AG has seals for dirt intrusion on the axle opening.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Last time I did mine I sealed the flange to the transmission area with RTV. Figured it couldn't hurt. Actually I was surprised that it wasn't sealed from the factory. We will see how long it lasts.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I sealed the cases together when I last reinstalled mine. Seemed easy and good to do. Will make separating in the future less fun though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts