1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://apple.news/A2b5qSc8SRxCRTHzs0Ly5Ig

15 Amazing Cars That Nobody's Buying

Volvo S60
Volvo’s sedan is an example of why journalists and reviewers get frustrated. It's a car nobody could dislike driving, yet only 7,310 Americans bought one in 2018. There’s been little other than praise for every angle of the S60 from its luxury-level interior to ride and handling and its smooth and powerful engine. Thankfully, Volvo is making crossovers at the same level to keep them in the black.

Volvo V90
It probably shouldn’t be a surprise the V90 isn’t making killer sales figures. It’s a special order item from dealers as an open secret. We hope Volvo is keeping the V90 open as an option because it knows that wagons are going to be coming back once the crossover gets over its peak. You can get several specs of V90 including the enthusiast-friendly T6 R-Design with both a supercharged and turbocharged (at the same time) 4-cylinder engine. There’s also the lifted V90 Cross Country if you want some crossover-like ground clearance on your wagon. Only 491 were sold in 2018, but the good news that gives us hope is that it’s 308 more sold than in 2017.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,143 Posts

Volvo S60
Volvo’s sedan is an example of why journalists and reviewers get frustrated. It's a car nobody could dislike driving, yet only 7,310 Americans bought one in 2018. There’s been little other than praise for every angle of the S60 from its luxury-level interior to ride and handling and its smooth and powerful engine. Thankfully, Volvo is making crossovers at the same level to keep them in the black.

Volvo V90
It probably shouldn’t be a surprise the V90 isn’t making killer sales figures. It’s a special order item from dealers as an open secret. We hope Volvo is keeping the V90 open as an option because it knows that wagons are going to be coming back once the crossover gets over its peak. You can get several specs of V90 including the enthusiast-friendly T6 R-Design with both a supercharged and turbocharged (at the same time) 4-cylinder engine. There’s also the lifted V90 Cross Country if you want some crossover-like ground clearance on your wagon. Only 491 were sold in 2018, but the good news that gives us hope is that it’s 308 more sold than in 2017.

What actually is considered a crossover?

Nora in Florida

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A crossover is a vehicle built on a car chassis, with comfort of a car but with the utility of an SUV. The XC lineup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
The ground clearance of XC lineup actually qualifies them as SUV nowadays.
Crossover is more like V90CC V60CC in my eyes.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
The ground clearance of XC lineup actually qualifies them as SUV nowadays.
Crossover is more like V90CC V60CC in my eyes.
Technically, SUVs are body-on-frame. But that distinction seems to be going away nowadays. Anything big = SUV...

·
Registered
667 Posts
I don't think that ground clearance is the best gauge for defining what is an SUV; Volvo Cross Country wagons have about as much ground clearance as many bona fide large SUVs. I think that (less) aerodynamics and (more) bulkiness and (more) top-heaviness is the best way to assess whether something is an SUV or not. I call the XC60 and XC90 both SUVs (the XC60 is NOT small); the XC40 is a small SUV, bordering on crossover status, to my mind. I don't think that Volvo really sells a true "crossover". I think of the Subaru Outback and maybe the Porsche Macan as more of a crossover-type, simply because they are harder to distinguish from wagons than boxier SUVs. It's very hard (and rather subjective) to have a definitive definition for "crossover".

I do hope that the public gets over its infatuation with SUVs in the next decade, as the article predicts, and that Volvo keeps its wagons line-ups indefinitely. I owned Volvos for two decades before Volvo got into the SUV business. I am not attracted to any Volvo SUVs. They get my business because of their wagons. Just like with Porsche going for the Cayenne and Macan in the last 15 years, saving its 2-door sports car business, Volvo has perhaps saved its wagon business by getting into SUVs in the same time period, and for that I'm thankful.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think Crossover is a term of art that is as much about “market crossover” as vehicle crossover. IOW, SUV’s used to be work vehicles, mainly owned by men for its utility. When they started building them with style, luxury and sport interiors and using unibody construction they “crossed over” into a different market. They were now appealing to soccer moms and being used as family cars replacing wagons and minivans. Then men who liked sporty vehicles jumped on the bandwagon as well.....

There is no real definition, hence my designation as a term of art.....

·
Registered
824 Posts

Volvo S60

Just a couple of suggestions to Volvo USA to help to sell more S60's:

1. Start offering T5 AWD in the US and promote the heck out of fuel economy.
2. Introduce more enticing exterior colors, not just Fusion Red, which is in every Volvo ad. Less beige/grey.

For VolvoCars:

3. Redesign the blasted control panel asap to incorporate physical knobs for climate control.
4. Contour (R-design) leather seats in all four colors should be made available as an option on Momentum (at least).
5. Start from scratch and develop proper voice-control of built-in Navigation features - current implementation is terrible.

·
Registered
90 Posts

Volvo S60
Outgoing model?

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I don't think that ground clearance is the best gauge for defining what is an SUV; Volvo Cross Country wagons have about as much ground clearance as many bona fide large SUVs. I think that (less) aerodynamics and (more) bulkiness and (more) top-heaviness is the best way to assess whether something is an SUV or not. I call the XC60 and XC90 both SUVs (the XC60 is NOT small); the XC40 is a small SUV, bordering on crossover status, to my mind. I don't think that Volvo really sells a true "crossover". I think of the Subaru Outback and maybe the Porsche Macan as more of a crossover-type, simply because they are harder to distinguish from wagons than boxier SUVs. It's very hard (and rather subjective) to have a definitive definition for "crossover".

I do hope that the public gets over its infatuation with SUVs in the next decade, as the article predicts, and that Volvo keeps its wagons line-ups indefinitely. I owned Volvos for two decades before Volvo got into the SUV business. I am not attracted to any Volvo SUVs. They get my business because of their wagons. Just like with Porsche going for the Cayenne and Macan in the last 15 years, saving its 2-door sports car business, Volvo has perhaps saved its wagon business by getting into SUVs in the same time period, and for that I'm thankful.
What do you like better about wagons versus SUVs?

I am still trying to decide whether to get a wagon or an SUV for my next vehicle.

I would consider a sedan, but the newer models have such terrible trunk space. So far I have not found any vehicle I like as much as my 1996. I would like some of the advanced safety features and the automatic hatch. It is getting difficult for me with my bad shoulder to open the trunk. Plus the AC in my 1996 is no longer very good. Not sure about putting thousands of dollars into such an old car to replace the air-conditioning.

Nora in Florida

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Just a couple of suggestions to Volvo USA to help to sell more S60's:

1. Start offering T5 AWD in the US and promote the heck out of fuel economy.
2. Introduce more enticing exterior colors, not just Fusion Red, which is in every Volvo ad. Less beige/grey.

For VolvoCars:

3. Redesign the blasted control panel asap to incorporate physical knobs for climate control.
4. Contour (R-design) leather seats in all four colors should be made available as an option on Momentum (at least).
5. Start from scratch and develop proper voice-control of built-in Navigation features - current implementation is terrible.
I agree with all of these! I would be thinking of purchasing a new vehicle myself soon if these were incorporated. Especially the climate control knobs and contour seat colors. I know nothing about voice control, since my vehicle is a 1996. But I would definitely like some thing that works similar to my iPhone.

Nora in Florida

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What do you like better about wagons versus SUVs?

I am still trying to decide whether to get a wagon or an SUV for my next vehicle.

I would consider a sedan, but the newer models have such terrible trunk space. So far I have not found any vehicle I like as much as my 1996. I would like some of the advanced safety features and the automatic hatch. It is getting difficult for me with my bad shoulder to open the trunk. Plus the AC in my 1996 is no longer very good. Not sure about putting thousands of dollars into such an old car to replace the air-conditioning.

Nora in Florida
Nora, you just need to drive all of your options and choices. Some people like driving up high like in an SUV and some people prefer having a sedan like experience. Both SUV’s and wagons are similar wrt utility. I prefer a sedan type drive, my wife prefers an SUV type drive. Wagons will probably get better mileage and they certainly are less ordinary. I love the new S60 wagon and I also love the SUV’s, but that’s mostly because I love the new Volvo interior design and my XC90 has the B&W system. But I LOVE driving my S60 a lot more.

·
Registered
6,912 Posts
In two years I think all Volvo new models will get Android OS and voice control will finally be quite useful.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Nora, you just need to drive all of your options and choices. Some people like driving up high like in an SUV and some people prefer having a sedan like experience. Both SUV’s and wagons are similar wrt utility. I prefer a sedan type drive, my wife prefers an SUV type drive. Wagons will probably get better mileage and they certainly are less ordinary. I love the new S60 wagon and I also love the SUV’s, but that’s mostly because I love the new Volvo interior design and my XC90 has the B&W system. But I LOVE driving my S60 a lot more.

Thank you so much. I will have to take that in consideration. It’s a difficult choice, as I enjoy driving both types of vehicles. Right now I have a Ford truck and an 850 R Volvo which is quite low to the ground.

As far as safety goes, do you think there is a difference between an SUV versus a wagon?

Nora in Florida

·
Registered
18 Posts
Having been an early follower of the SUV craze (1987 was my first purchase and I've had 3) I would say: A Crossover is meant to mimic a traditional car in its ride height, driving dynamics and (sometimes) looks. SUV's at one time all derived from truck (i.e."utility") platforms, but now are built like traditional cars, with taller ride height and even more room for pax and cargo maybe the only defining traits. Not to diminish their place in the auto universe, I personally am suffering from SUV fatigue and as a result just ordered a MY2020 V60 Cross Country. First Volvo and first wagon, although I think Volvo has taken the wagon to a new level with this one.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Having been an early follower of the SUV craze (1987 was my first purchase and I've had 3) I would say: A Crossover is meant to mimic a traditional car in its ride height, driving dynamics and (sometimes) looks. SUV's at one time all derived from truck (i.e."utility") platforms, but now are built like traditional cars, with taller ride height and even more room for pax and cargo maybe the only defining traits. Not to diminish their place in the auto universe, I personally am suffering from SUV fatigue and as a result just ordered a MY2020 V60 Cross Country. First Volvo and first wagon, although I think Volvo has taken the wagon to a new level with this one.
Having driven both the S60 and the V90 and looked at the V60, I think that the fairer statement would be that Volvo went to the next level with both the V90 and the V60. Aside from size, both cars are very similar in styling, comfort and handling. I put 1,000 miles on a new S60 service loaner and aside from it being a sedan with the momentum trim level rather than an R Design, I would have sworn I was driving my wagon.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts