SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got a new 1999 S70 after totaling my other one. This one has Alloy wheels, racing tires, sun roof, leather, premium audio system, automatic climate control, 8-way power seats with memory, and 35,000 less miles, for only $1500 out of pocket (thank you insurance). The problem is it was bought at an auction and refurbed by the dealer. I can tell that it has a premium audio system because of the 8 speakers and how loud they are (I know the 200 watt amp is there somewhere). I think the dealer didn't know about it and never charged me for it because the original radio wasn't in it. A different one with no CD player was. I was just wondering, does anybody know where the amplifier is located? I've looked everywhere I can without tearing the dashboard off. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
12 Posts
AJ..If you can release the two tabs on either side of the radio you can slide the whole chassis towards you. On the back of the radio/tape/cd you should find two DIN connections (round 9 pin) one is for the cd changer and the other is for an external amp. If the amp is installed...just follow the wire. If both DIN connections are empty...you don't have the external amp (you don't have the cd changer either!)
Be careful not to disconnect the flat plugs unless you have your radio code handy. Hope this helps you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK, here's the thing. I have looked back there on both this new S70 (with premium audio) and the old S70. They both have a small unlabeled hole and the new one has something in it, the old one didn't. I tried to follow it, but couldn't get that far. Neither car had anything in the changer or amp plug and the new one is WAY louder than the old. I took out all of the stock speakers in the old one (there were only 4 I could take out) and put in 6 (4 Sony Xplods and some Pioneers in the rear deck). Even with the "good" speakers, the stock on the new is louder.

·
Registered
194 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by AJ:
OK, here's the thing. I have looked back there on both this new S70 (with premium audio) and the old S70. They both have a small unlabeled hole and the new one has something in it, the old one didn't. I tried to follow it, but couldn't get that far. Neither car had anything in the changer or amp plug and the new one is WAY louder than the old. I took out all of the stock speakers in the old one (there were only 4 I could take out) and put in 6 (4 Sony Xplods and some Pioneers in the rear deck). Even with the "good" speakers, the stock on the new is louder.
The amp (if you really got it) is located under the right front seat. The 6-pin DIN connector on the back of the radio is the amp output. The 10-pin mini-DIN connector is the CD changer input.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts