SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's 2018 XC90 shows a stubborn stain/pattern on the back of the driver's seat.
We've tried to clean it with the Volvo leather kit, no luck.

My hunch is that her belt has caused this. I'd imagine this to be somewhat common. See bottom middle of seat back.

It's not blue denim transfer, that stuff wipes right off without problems.

Anything to be done?

Thanks

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
well for starters, it isn't worn out. seat looks fine, for as much as the cheaper leather can..... but that is a non warranty problem of dye transfer and no there isn't much you can do about it.

·
Registered
2018 Volvo V90CC T6
1,039 Posts
Start with a damp (warm water) clean microfiber cloth/towel. Use a Leather cleaning-conditioner combo to get it off if the damp towel doesn't help you. The stain might be stubborn given it has been on the leather for quite a while. Might require a little more elbow grease than usual but it's absolutely nothing that cannot be cleaned.

If you have the Volvo leather wipes (the pack comes with the car) use that. I have had very good results in getting (dark-blue/black) dye transfer off my Amber perforated seats.

You almost need a dedicated interior clean-up day every other month with these light-colored leather interiors. And I would not have it any other way. It feeds my OCD and I love it! :p

EDIT: Since you have the non-perforated seats, you also have the option of spraying a good leather-cleaner and using a soft-bristle brush on the seats. Hit up YouTube for videos on how to clean light-colored leather seats. Pretty useful. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
This is belt stain transfer and will not come out with common leather cleaning products. Had the exact thing, but worse, on the 09 V70 with sandstone leather. By the time I noticed it it was too late. Nothing could get it out. Yours is not too bad. Just prevent the belt from further damage. This may sound a little OCD but I travel with a small hand towel and place it between my belt and seat. Have no staining in a year of use.

·
Registered
71 Posts
From the pictures it looks like dye transfer from the belt. You can get this out. If the amber leather is worn (from the belt rubbing) you are out of luck. As the seat wears more evenly, you won't notice. Just keep that spot protected from getting worse.

You can buy something like this to cover it without much notice (https://www.amazon.com/MastaPlasta-...t+back+strip&qid=1553696784&s=gateway&sr=8-38) or buy a lower back cushion that would be functional as well.

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
My wife's 2018 XC90 shows a stubborn stain/pattern on the back of the driver's seat.
We've tried to clean it with the Volvo leather kit, no luck.

My hunch is that her belt has caused this. I'd imagine this to be somewhat common. See bottom middle of seat back.

It's not blue denim transfer, that stuff wipes right off without problems.

Anything to be done?

Thanks
Die transfer from clothing. Crap dyes made in China = Easily Bleeds onto seat. Leather cleaner should get that right out. Had this problem more times than I can count. Why I invested in seat covers.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Does not look that bad to me but maybe it looks a lot different in person.

You can try some of the "home" remedies mentioned above and if those do not work you can make a few phone calls to some high end dealers service managers near you, Volvo, BMW, MB, etc., and see which local mobile interior repair vendor they use for their leather repairs. I have used them on other cars over the years and they can make it look like new right in your driveway! Like it never happened.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Degreaser or all purpose cleaner with microfiber towel, and rub, then condition the leather.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Try Leatherique.
After applying the restorer/cleaner cover with clear film food wrap and leave in a warm sunny area for several hours or overnight. Follow the instructions provided with the Leatherique.
LINK: http://www.leatherique.com/do_it_your_self_instruction/rejuvinator_pc_directions.html
Ordered from Amazon, thanks!

Degreaser or all purpose cleaner with microfiber towel, and rub, then condition the leather.
What kind of degreaser?
What kind of cleaner?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ordered from Amazon, thanks!

What kind of degreaser?
What kind of cleaner?
I use Adams all purpose cleaner because it smells of lime. Just hit the detail isle and grab some cheap all purpose cleaner, and don't forget to condition after. I've been using Meguiars gold class for Cleaner/Conditioner... grab something with UV block.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts