SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want the amber leather for my new XC90 I am about to order... but I am worried about dirty showing after many years. I've seen blue leather and gray leather in 10 year old mercedes, and dirt showed a lot and leather looked nasty. I am wondering if Amber would also show its age/dirt after so many years.

I'd like to note, just the reality of me: I probably won't treat the leather and won't clean it much. So with that said, does anybody have any experience with the Amber leather on their older Volvo's and does it show dirt after many years? would I be better off with Charcoal? I plan to own over 10 years

Thanks

·
Registered
235 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
I'd like to note, just the reality of me: I probably won't treat the leather and won't clean it much. So with that said,
If you're not the 'maintaining' type Amber probably won't be for you, IMO. It will show dirt eventually as well as dye transfer from jeans, whether it be blue or black. Not saying the whole butt portion will show it but certainly the sides where you get in and out. If that won't bother you, I do love the color.

As I did mention in the linked to threads above, I 'sealed' my leather with cquartz leather sealant and dye transfer wipes right off with a microfiber and mist of interior cleaner.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I want the amber leather for my new XC90 I am about to order... but I am worried about dirty showing after many years. I've seen blue leather and gray leather in 10 year old mercedes, and dirt showed a lot and leather looked nasty. I am wondering if Amber would also show its age/dirt after so many years.

I'd like to note, just the reality of me: I probably won't treat the leather and won't clean it much. So with that said, does anybody have any experience with the Amber leather on their older Volvo's and does it show dirt after many years? would I be better off with Charcoal? I plan to own over 10 years

Thanks

Photo of beige leather seat on my '04xc90 after 11.5 years. I think it's held up quite well. And the leather on there isn't nearly as nice as what they're putting on the new ones. I have amber ordered on my new '16.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Photo of beige leather seat on my '04xc90 after 11.5 years. And the leather on there isn't nearly as nice as what they're putting on the new ones. I have amber ordered on my new '16.

Gah! That's exactly what the mercedes seats looked like. Is Amber really as dark "yellow" as they show on the Volvo sight? I am having trouble finding real world pics of the Amber seats (non-nappa). Since you ordered amber and your quality comment, I guess you are not expecting this issue on the new car?

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you're not the 'maintaining' type Amber probably won't be for you, IMO. It will show dirt eventually as well as dye transfer from jeans, whether it be blue or black. Not saying the whole butt portion will show it but certainly the sides where you get in and out. If that won't bother you, I do love the color.

As I did mention in the linked to threads above, I 'sealed' my leather with cquartz leather sealant and dye transfer wipes right off with a microfiber and mist of interior cleaner.
Hope I can be of some help. I have an inscription model with the Amber leather. I also have the interior/leather coated in an opti-coat. In have about 5000 miles on my xc90 and unfortunately I hve some blue jean transfer. All my other seats are spotless and I drive with my wife and two kids everywhere in this vehicle. My jeans are not new, (some say blue jean transfer is only from new jeans, I found this to be false). That being said all I wear in my xc90 are jeans. Out of the 5000 miles driven, I have probably driven 3000 all in my blue jeans, my wife driving the other 2000. I have not had any signs of dirt or any other kind of stain, just the blue jean transfer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Gah! That's exactly what the mercedes seats looked like. Is Amber really as dark "yellow" as they show on the Volvo sight? I am having trouble finding real world pics of the Amber seats (non-nappa). Since you ordered amber and your quality comment, I guess you are not expecting this issue on the new car?
I think it looks good for so many years :)) I've seen the amber in real life, it's gorgeous but admittedly fairly light in color. I thought about being practical and getting charcoal seats but then I decided 'screw it, you only live once'.

·
Super Moderator
3,749 Posts
This is all helpful, thank you. This bluejeans stuff scares me
As I mentioned, it isn't the whole surface of the seat, just along the edge that gets it. It wipes off with a microfiber for me and interior cleaner, though I 'sealed' my seats/leather. I still don't think it would be hard to rub away once a month with a mist of interior cleaner, you're looking at 1 minute of work.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I am sure paradox is right, I just haven't attempted to clean my seat yet. With 16 month old twins it's hard enough to find time to get dressed in the morning �� I plan to take my XC 90 into my local detailer where I had my opti-coat applied, just to keep the interior maintained.

·
Registered
55 Posts

This photo is the same seat but out in the daylight, which does it more justice. The prior one was while it was still in the garage.

·
Registered
2021 Inscription Recharge - 2021 Silverado LTZ 6.2L
1,739 Posts
best leather cleaner / conditioner is Lexol?
Lexol is not needed for modern leathers that are poly treated, and anything from the factory is.

I had our amber nappa coated with Opti Coat because I knew it would be a pain to keep clean. After 6 months I had a ton of dye transfer onto the seats so today I set out to clean them. Sprayed a little interior cleaner on a microfiber cloth and the seats wiped clean immediately. For amber nappa, coating is key. Thank you e-m detailing!!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
There was a r design with amber leather at the SF auto show. The seats were hammered, seeing what I'd guess as years of abuse in one week. The side edge of the driver seat was black. I was surprised at how bad it was. There were a few other cars there with light interiors that were not nearly as bad. Mind you they were cars and not suv's, so the ingress/egress was at a different angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks all. This is good info. I've heard a few options/products for protecting and cleaning but it's my first time hearing these things, hence i am clueless. Can you guys please advise what product you use for protection and for cleaning, what they do exactly and your thoughts /endorsements for them. thanks

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
There was a r design with amber leather at the SF auto show. The seats were hammered, seeing what I'd guess as years of abuse in one week. The side edge of the driver seat was black. I was surprised at how bad it was.
I wanted to get the blonde interior on my XC90 because that's what I was used to... My salesman led me across the dealer floor to a XC90 with blonde interior. He opened the door and pointed at the seat and the floorboard. Mind you, this vehicle was inside but the carpet had a lot of grey marking and the seats weren't just pristine. He commented that they just can't keep them clean - even from people walking across the clean inside floor, they still leave marks.

Said they were ordering Blonde Interior with Charcoal carpets from now on due to customer complaints.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Thanks all. This is good info. I've heard a few options/products for protecting and cleaning but it's my first time hearing these things, hence i am clueless. Can you guys please advise what product you use for protection and for cleaning, what they do exactly and your thoughts /endorsements for them. thanks
Also looking for recommendations for leather treatment:
- CQuartz or Opti Guard?
- DIY vs. detail shop
- How about the finish? I'm most concerned about anything that might leave a sheen or ANYTHING OTHER than a matte finish.

For me, it's all about the outer edge of the seats where a passenger might be tempted to "slide" out and burnish the finish to a shine.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts