SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to the dealer complaining of my AM reception. I had the problem originally when I picked up the car and my memory tells where there was a bulletin?? Anyway, this time they added a brass strip for grounding purposes and cleaned off some of the bolts (all according to dealer). Problem is still there.<p>Some questions:<p>Was/Is there a TNN??<br>Has anyone else experienced this?<br>Rememdies?<p>Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts
Re: AM Reception (R Crazy)

did you tint your windows by any chance? Is there any noise that has the same rhythm as the motor? Does it get better with motor not running?<p>

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: AM Reception (JimLill)

no tint on car. The noise is not depedent on the motor. It just doesn't pick up the stations. I had a loaner car S-40 and the AM worked fine where I was (in western NJ, sort of far from NYC)

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
and your FM reception is perfectly normal?!

·
Registered
1,877 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>R Crazy</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So I went to the dealer complaining of my AM reception. I had the problem originally when I picked up the car and my memory tells where there was a bulletin?? Anyway, this time they added a brass strip for grounding purposes and cleaned off some of the bolts (all according to dealer). Problem is still there.<p>Some questions:<p>Was/Is there a TNN??<br>Has anyone else experienced this?<br>Rememdies?<p>Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Although I don't have problems with reception, I got strange alien-from-mars clicking (blep, blep, blep...) noise from time to time.<p>also, there are gounding issues too... you get winding noise in sync with your gear shifts.

·
Registered
198 Posts

I am currently experiencing the same problem - my R goes in next week for this and a couple other minor items - I will see what they come up with

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: AM Reception (superstein61)

it is not a grounding issue. I am aware of what some of you are suggesting, that the radio reception is in sync with the motor. It is nothing of this. It simply doesn't pick up stations clearly. It picks up large stations such as WFAN and ESPN, but it just comes in completely full of static. As I travel home from work eastbound towards NYC, it gets a little better, but nothing that I would term as "clear."

·
Super Moderator
14,831 Posts
Re: (phuz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>phuz</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">and your FM reception is perfectly normal?!</TD></TR></TABLE>

·
Premium Member
12,504 Posts

<br>let me preface this by saying I am an EE who has been in the radio R&D biz for 38 years....<p>The AM efficiency of the antenna seems to be a function of grounding. My V had super good AM the first 8 months I had it. Then on a hot summer streak of WX it suddenly got bad. <p>I solved it by locating the antenna box that hooks to the in-glass antenna, loosening its mounting bolt and retightening it. That was good for 1 year and then during another stretch of 90F, I had to do the same thing again. That time, I added an internal tooth lockwasher to keep the grounding better over time.<p>

·
Registered
1,184 Posts

The TNN for the AM is:<br>TNN39-49 - Radio - AM Static Caused By PEM, Turbo Cars Only <A HREF="http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Volvo/1124780400000_1127458800000_TNN39-49" TARGET="_blank">http://www.alldata.com/tsb/Vol...39-49</A>/<p>I'm not saying that your problem will be fixed by this; just answering your initial question.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Re: AM Reception (doru)

From another site:<p><A HREF="http://www.v70r.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4079&hl" TARGET="_blank">http://www.v70r.com/forums/ind...79&hl</A>=

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: AM Reception (canuck-R)

yeah, FM is fine.<p>According to the dealer, they had retightend the bolts. (Maybe I should double check). Let me suggest that TNN. Thanks for posting it.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Re: AM Reception (superstein61)

It is a piece of brass shim stock, that is duct taped to the amplifier to hold the connector in place.<p>It is a hack fix that is done instead of doing the job right by changing the connectors on the coax and /or the amplifier.<p>TNN 39-49 is a different issue. It is electrical noise generated by the PEM. The fix is the placement of ferrite beads on the PEM leads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts