SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. It seems that my C30's radio is losing the ability to tune in AM stations. I am getting a lot of noise/static/interference when I listen to AM radio. I recall that this sometimes happen with Volvo radios.

Can anyone give me some hints?

Do I need a new head unit?

Thanks,

·
Registered
16,942 Posts
Thats a good thing since AM radio rots your brain.

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am sure there are threads that discuss this, but I've not found them....

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
AM/FM antennas are the 3 curved lines in your back side windows. Any chance something brushed up against the glass and damaged these?

·
Registered
16,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
102 Posts
The AM radio stopped working on my 2009 C30 more than a year ago. The dealer said it was in the main audio system module and the whole thing would need to be replaced, to the tune of over $1k. At that price, I can pretty comfortably live without AM radio.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Yes a very common problem across not just the early C30s, but also S40 & V50. The audio module was replaced in my '09 C30 about 3 years ago while still under warranty. Apparently very common problem with the Volvo dealer keeping spares in stock permanently to cover it. At the time I remember being told that a recall was never done on the issue (at least here is Australia) because its not safety related. They simply replace the module on an as required basis. Even if your cars out of warranty (which is likely) I would still insist your local dealer fix it up because of the history of this problem.

Tony

1 - 8 of 8 Posts