SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so fed up with the trans in my car.

The feel of it is rubbery, and terrible. I can just barely feel when it's in gear. This trans will not be rushed, and I miss shifts all the time. I won't even be "racing" or what not, I can just go to grab a lower gear to speed up and when I quickly shift back to fourth it will not go in.

I know that the shift cables can wear out, and that they were redesigned in 05is with better ones. I just don't want to go through the process to find out the Volvo six speed is just garbage.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am so fed up with the trans in my car.

The feel of it is rubbery, and terrible. I can just barely feel when it's in gear. This trans will not be rushed, and I miss shifts all the time. I won't even be "racing" or what not, I can just go to grab a lower gear to speed up and when I quickly shift back to fourth it will not go in.

I know that the shift cables can wear out, and that they were redesigned in 05is with better ones. I just don't want to go through the process to find out the Volvo six speed is just garbage.
I'm at the point of wanting to trade my car for a 06 up gt just to get away from this trans.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
How are your motor mount/transmission mount bushings?

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
I have never experienced any of which you are speaking about.....I have actually been complimented many times on how well the gears in this car connect and almost pop into place without hesitation...I would take a look at the innerds of your gearbox.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Trans does have miles on it, 164xxx ish but does not grind at all going into any gear in a normal fashion. Previous owner was an older guy that used it to drive his son back and forth to water skiing competition on the west coast. I would think that he didn't run the gear box hard, or even ever launched the car.

The top motor mount that connects to the bar that goes over the motor I personally took out and cleaned then used an old DSM trick where I filled the open parts of the bushing (which looked almost new) with 3m window weld urethane.

I would be willing to go through and replace the other motor mounts if this will help.

The reason I really feel this way is if I jump into my 300zx tt that has 130k on it and is a 1994 the trans still feels 100x better. I realize that you will never get the feeling of a trans where the shifter goes right into the trans on a FWD based motor but I feel it could be a lot better.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Mine feels fine, no issues like you describe. I've only ground gears twice on the car in 4+ years of owning it. I suspect doing some maintenance will help your situation but I will refrain from speculation on what to look at as I am clueless on the subject.

I would say there are perks to owning a GT but the grass can be greener on the other side for many car related things until you get in and realize the caveats each has.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm at the point of wanting to trade my car for a 06 up gt just to get away from this trans.
What year? How about an 05GT w/ low miles. I do love the auto but I wanna track it soon so standard would be better IMO.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Change your lower torque mount. I was pretty unimpressed by the shift feel when I first picked my car up. I did the IPD upper mount, and it was better but still not satisfactory. Turned out my lower mount was completely torn at the smaller bushing, and replacing that (I did the Bob Vila mod at the same time) made a big difference. Next up are all the worn bushings in the shifter mechanism.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I personally like my 6-speed auto. I drove a few 6 speed mt's before i purchased and my 2010 Mazda 3, 6-speed was far superior!!

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Only time I've missed shifts is when I was being an idiot and not pressing the clutch fully down to engage the gear. Replace lower tranny mount and upper engine mound and you'll feel the difference :)

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
You might want to look into the Snabb shifter. It includes new shifter bushings, which should really help the shift feel.

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'm not far from it myself. I need to do the upper mount, even though it doesn't look/feel bad. Then change the fluid and whatnot. Coming from a BMW, this thing shifts like a bag of ass. The rest of the car is boss.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Replace all the engine mounts at that mileage. Replace the lower tans mount with a HD version.
Then add the SNABB short shifter. Is sweet.
+215kmi on my VR and shifts great with these adjustments.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just drained the fluid in trans from previous owner, put in AMSOIL 75w90 GL4 manual trans fluid. We will see how this changes shift feel, IPD has the garage sale coming up, looks like I will be ordering all new mounts and probable a TMW shifter.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Now you know the fluid is GL4 for sure....that can't hurt.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm thinking of selling my 07 GT with 61,xxx miles so I can get a manual. Never driven an R with the manual trans though.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Trans does have miles on it, 164xxx ish but does not grind at all going into any gear in a normal fashion. Previous owner was an older guy that used it to drive his son back and forth to water skiing competition on the west coast. I would think that he didn't run the gear box hard, or even ever launched the car.

The top motor mount that connects to the bar that goes over the motor I personally took out and cleaned then used an old DSM trick where I filled the open parts of the bushing (which looked almost new) with 3m window weld urethane.

I would be willing to go through and replace the other motor mounts if this will help.

The reason I really feel this way is if I jump into my 300zx tt that has 130k on it and is a 1994 the trans still feels 100x better. I realize that you will never get the feeling of a trans where the shifter goes right into the trans on a FWD based motor but I feel it could be a lot better.
Dude. 164,000 miles? You'll need new synchros, and probably new bearings all around in the trans. Take it to a tranny shop, NOT the dealer, and NOT some franchised shop, take it to a family-owned trans shop and they will probably remove, repair, and install for about 1,000-1,300$. It would drive like new afterwards.

A synchro is technically a wear item, it's a ring, with an angled lip that when you push down, it stops the gears from spinning.. The wider portion of the synchro basically wedges between the gear and shaft, and over time it just gets thinner, and doesn't stop the gears from spinning... Making it impossible to change gears without rev-matching.

My car drives great, and I was considering getting new bearings and sychros at 64,000 miles... Especially for an R, with a 6 speed.. You're constantly changing gear if you're not on a highway, those synchros get used up alot.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts