SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems to me the original forum design was very concise, user friendly, and met our needs. Not sure why the wheel was reinvented here. Anyone else agree?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Seems to me the original forum design was very concise, user friendly, and met our needs. Not sure why the wheel was reinvented here. Anyone else agree?
Nope, you are not the only one.

Reactions: Papa_Kirlo

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think the new layout has a lot of design queues that are better, feel more up to date and "fresh" so to speak. Also, any major change to something like a forum is definitely going to get a lot of pushback just because we've developed patterns, you've obviously been here a lot longer than I have :) I can't get it to work at all on mobile ATM so thats not cool :(

Gonna have to run around a bit before I make a final decision.

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think the new layout has a lot of design queues that are better, feel more up to date and "fresh" so to speak. Also, any major change to something like a forum is definitely going to get a lot of pushback just because we've developed pattern, you've obviously been here a lot long than I have :)

I can't get it to work at all on mobile ATM so thats not cool :(

Gonna have to run around a bit before I make a final decision.
I understand the need for relevance and change. However, reinventing the wheel was not needed here. The large buttons, quirky forum layout, and overall design don't make me enthusiastic about the new experience.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I am also not a fan of the new look at all. But I am old and a creature of habit!

Pete

·
Registered
74 Posts
I would give it some time first. Anything new takes time to get around especially after using the old design for a long time. I am a software engineer and I always wanted to see Sweedspeed redesigned. It looked old and needed a lot of UX (user experience) improvements. I just opened it to see the new design, have not got time to check details yet, hence, I said give it some time...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just logged in to find new layout
I am used to this layout as Volvo v40 club use this
I like it as I just click on new posts or search for what I want
I am sure v40 forum changed from a similar layout

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I like it a lot. It is more functional than it was and is easier than before in implementing attachments, videos, etc.

Not to mention that you can finally see people's signatures on the mobile app, and that the sticky threads are actually listed up front. That will save some time since now people will see those and not (I'm being hopeful here) ask the same questions over and over again about how to do something when there's a whole thread on how to do things DIY in the stickies.

And there's a dark mode! Nice!!!

·
Premium Member
1,203 Posts
I generally am adverse to change, but I think this layout looks fine. Nothing that will really affect my use of the forum, so I'm good with it... but there is a Chevy ad on the side trying to advertise for safety =-D

·
Registered
220 Posts
The biggest improvement I think will be that it hosts photos easily, so how-to and technical discussions will be much more robust. The third-party host was so antiquated it discouraged a lot of people.

I want this sticker:
00F0F_7oPwa418utV_0uY0hq_1200x900.jpg

·
Registered
16,851 Posts
Undecided. Its different but not that much different. I like the new post button. Since I used that alot.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
The biggest improvement I think will be that it hosts photos easily, so how-to and technical discussions will be much more robust. The third-party host was so antiquated it discouraged a lot of people.

I want this sticker: View attachment 112729
Never bothered with the built-in host. I like using Imgur to host as I can then share with other boards easily.

·
3,829 Posts
This is way to facebook'ish

·
Registered
16,530 Posts
Thsi f*cking sucks. Swedespeed was glorious for its simple layout being the same and useful all the time. WTF is this layout????? Signatures are 2 lines? Bubbles? Someone please explain what the benefit is?

A forum is about the content on it not how flashy it looks. This is detrimental to the content.

·
Registered
15,909 Posts
There are a couple useful new features but they would have been better off added to the new site. The reduction from 35 to 20 posts per page (the whole reason we had pages on forums is because dial up was slow! Posts/page should be going up with internet speed, not down), massive reduction of functionality for signatures, and increase in wasted screen space significantly outweighs the positive changes. The new search/menu stuff at the top of the page costs me 72 vertical pixels. Hitting the home key to get to a search box at the top of the page is really not that hard and a better option given that the additional 72 pixels of vertical space are more useful 99% of the time. If you're going to waste that space, at least put it on the side. Computer screens are already too wide.

The old UI definitely looked old, but I don't see why that's a problem It was a classic forum layout. It worked. It was simple, easy to navigate, and used screen real estate very efficiently. The only area I thought the UX was bad was the very cumbersome image hosting tool. My dad got a website for his business in the late '90s and it's never been redesigned. I was trying to get him to let me redesign it for a number of years (you know, when I was a teenager....lol) but he regularly gets compliments on how simple it is to navigate and I've realized that expanding on the existing site is the better option.

·
Registered
2007 V70 2.5T FWD
81 Posts
I am seeing all the font codes in older posts with this new forum software. I tried to find a setting to correct that, but no luck. Anyone?

·
Registered
2009 XC90 D5 185 R-Design, winter, summer, comms and family packs
89 Posts
I much prefer the new place.

Reactions: danguba78

·
Registered
15,909 Posts
I am seeing all the font codes in older posts with this new forum software. I tried to find a setting to correct that, but no luck. Anyone?
Pretty sure that is here to stay unless they restore support for the BB code tags that are apparently now unsupported. BB code is run off of plain text so anything that isn't recognized as a tag is treated as text. There would be no way to filter these out because the forum software doesn't see them as anything other than text. It would look no different to the software than any word in this paragraph.

I have the same problem in my signature right now but I can't do anything about it because my signature is now nonconforming and I can't save it.

·
Premium Member
2020 V90 Inscription T6 (all options except upgrade stereo and rear wheel air suspension)
224 Posts
This change harkens me back to my former life in systems. I always felt that it was far easier to introduce a new business process and corresponding system application, than to modify an existing one. People get comfortable with what they are familiar with, and eventually get use to change. I've just started to use this new application. Hopefully the changes will provide more capability, and not just be an exercise in design style.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts