SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. New to the forum. Well I just bought a 2003 XC90 T6 with 90K miles on it. The owner disclosed that indeed at 60K miles the transmission failed, and Bozzani Volvo (southern california) replaced it as at the time (June 2006), the car was still under warranty.<p>He said that he was worried that they were going to put the same transmission in it and that he would experience the same problem over again, but the dealer insisted that they were putting a "new and improved" transmission in there, and that you couldn't even buy the older transmission anymore. He also said that because this was a different transmission model, the dealer had to upgrade the front control arms.<p>So this is my question for other forum members. Does any of this make sense? Is this a line of BS, or does his story hold water? I have been doing a lot of reading here and it sounds like if the dealer replaced a T6 transmission, they would just put the same model in there and people would eventually have the same problem over and over.<p>I still have time to cancel the transaction. I bought the car "site unseen" via ebay. And if it has been grossly misrepresented, I should be protected. But if this guy is full of BS, I'd just rather ditch the thing now.<p>I'm really curious to hear what you all think.<br>Thanks much,<br>Tony

·
Registered
111 Posts
Re: Am I Screwed? (tpezzolo)

From what I have read here, it is basically the same transmission but with some internal improvements. I did get the impression that the improved one had a longer lifespan. However, I have never owned one, so hopefully more experienced folks with the T6 will chime in with details for you.

·
Registered
827 Posts

<p>The control arm replacement was from a recall a year or so ago, had nothing t do with the<br>transmission.<p>Some have had the trans fail multiple times. Trans and engine are rated the same torque, the trans should<br>be a higher rating. The more power you get from the engine the shorter the lifespan of the trans.

·
Registered
21,166 Posts

Unless you bought it cheap and it has had at least one transmission flush since the replacement, I would walk away and go for a 2.5T or V8.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it for $10K. Is that cheap? Car is described as, "looks and drives like new".<p>I am too late the cancel the transaction. Should I try to walk away now, I need to file a claim through my bank and sign an affidavit. What do you guys think?<p>Thanks for all your help and opinions. In hindsight I wish I had done a little more research. The guy said that it had a stronger, upgraded transmission, but now he's not providing any records. I know that the transmission was replaced. I wish I could verify a few more details though.

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
Re: (tpezzolo)

$10k is cheap for now, especially depending on the options included.<p>Later will be the issue with an `03 T6.<p>Is it not possible to do a carfax check to see what service has been done? Perhaps it's after the fact, but it may provide an adequate history.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did the carfax and indeed transmission was replaced at 60,000 miles in June of 2006. Car now has 92,000 miles on it, so only 32,000 on the new transmission. But no details other than it was replaced. <p>Don't understand this comment, <p>"Later will be the issue with an `03 T6."<p>Clarify please?

·
Registered
21,166 Posts
Re: (tpezzolo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>tpezzolo</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Don't understand this comment, <p>"Later will be the issue with an `03 T6."<p>Clarify please?</TD></TR></TABLE><p>When this transmission goes buh bye.

·
Registered
6,307 Posts
Re: (MagoonR)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD><i>Quote, originally posted by <b>MagoonR</b> »</i></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><p>When this transmission goes buh bye.</TD></TR></TABLE><p>Yup, as well as a host of other `03 model year problems that may have yet to surface.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts