Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2008 Volvo C30 T5 - Manual
$7,000
Cosmic White Metallic
166,082 miles

From the seller:
All original parts or better were installed 1,900 miles ago.
Continental Timing belt, Aisin water pump, Aisin Timing belt tensioner and rollers, Mitsuboshi drive belt and A/C belt, All new Hutchinson engine mounts (rear mount, left and right), new front ceramic brake pads and rotors, new front Gabriel struts.

Things I found:
The front right speaker was blown and he offered to replace it with me if I purchase the vehicle. The tires weren't worn evenly and it looks like I'd have to replace at least two of them soon. I'd most likely replace all four at once.

He has it listed at $7,800, but he said the lowest he could do is $7,000 after negotiating.
Is this a reasonable price considering the work he has done on it or is still too high?

·
Registered
92 Posts
lets say the car is worth 4,000$
then you add the timing belt + water pump 1200$
how much the rest of the work was worth is up to you
shocks and brakes and motor mounts would be at least another 1000$
if tire wear on the front is uneven, car might have suspension issues
if tire wear on the rear it is a common issue and easily fixed
S40 and C30 are not worth much so you are not getting a great deal and you will never be able to resell it for even half of probably what you will invest
some guy around here is selling an S40 for 2,000$ and no one has bought it, maybe I will
I think you should look around a little more

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
Seems high to me. NADA has retail listed at $5k... Not the end all be all of pricing by any means at all, especially with Volvo's, but 140% of book doesn't work for me (or any bank if you were considering financing). While I personally prefer a manual, that actually hurts it's market value and decreases the number of people who they can sell it to. Also, the number one thing I would always want to know is "why are you selling it?" 2k miles ago isn't very long for most cars... so why put all that money into "original parts or better" if you're just getting the car up to snuff to sell. I just pulled a car out of storage to sell and got it ready for inspection... top of the line parts is not what I picked.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Sounds about right to me. Remember, this is a manual transmission car. They are worth more!! Just sold mine for $6500. Same condition and mileage. ALL German FCPeuro parts like struts, shocks, complete brake system. New Tires, etc....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Seems high to me. NADA has retail listed at $5k... Not the end all be all of pricing by any means at all, especially with Volvo's, but 140% of book doesn't work for me (or any bank if you were considering financing). While I personally prefer a manual, that actually hurts it's market value and decreases the number of people who they can sell it to. Also, the number one thing I would always want to know is "why are you selling it?" 2k miles ago isn't very long for most cars... so why put all that money into "original parts or better" if you're just getting the car up to snuff to sell. I just pulled a car out of storage to sell and got it ready for inspection... top of the line parts is not what I picked.
I completely disagree - Manual transmission adds value due to there be less of them. There are Auto trans C30s everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
I completely disagree - Manual transmission adds value due to there be less of them. There are Auto trans C30s everywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The perspective is for the public market of a dealership. They are losers for dealer inventory. They sit around waiting for the right person and sell much slower than automatic versions of the same car... and time is money for dealers. A majority of the population won't consider a manual. Personally, I love manual transmissions. Loosely looking for an older Volvo myself and am only considering manual.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The perspective is for the public market of a dealership. They are losers for dealer inventory. They sit around waiting for the right person and sell much slower than automatic versions of the same car... and time is money for dealers. A majority of the population won't consider a manual. Personally, I love manual transmissions. Loosely looking for an older Volvo myself and am only considering manual.
He is not purchasing his from a dealer....

Honestly, who the heck buys a used 2008 Volvo from a Dealer?

I have purchased at least 5 and I purchased them all from Individual sellers. 3 of the 5 were manual transmission.

Now, if it was a newer car with a warranty, I can see majority of buyers going to a dealer. Otherwise is it worth the PRICE OF RETAIL... Markup...

·
Registered
70 Posts
There are not as many manual C30s, and they are a niche vehicle, very unique. I know they are worth more than autos PERIOD!

·
Registered
17 Posts
He is not purchasing his from a dealer....

Honestly, who the heck buys a used 2008 Volvo from a Dealer?

I have purchased at least 5 and I purchased them all from Individual sellers. 3 of the 5 were manual transmission.

Now, if it was a newer car with a warranty, I can see majority of buyers going to a dealer. Otherwise is it worth the PRICE OF RETAIL... Markup...
I bought my 08 C30 from a dealer. They seemed pretty reputable, but I went to a shop to get a pre purchase inspection as always. Funnily enough, there was literally nothing wrong with it - and the previous owner had done the timing belt right before he sold it. Sure it’s given me a few issues, but it’s been very reliable - even on a performance tune.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bought my 08 C30 from a dealer. They seemed pretty reputable, but I went to a shop to get a pre purchase inspection as always. Funnily enough, there was literally nothing wrong with it - and the previous owner had done the timing belt right before he sold it. Sure it’s given me a few issues, but it’s been very reliable - even on a performance tune.
Manual or auto trans? Mileage?

What did you pay for it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Manual or auto trans? Mileage?

What did you pay for it?
Manual with 104k. It was listed around 7 grand but there were a bunch of fees so it ended up being exactly 9k. However the pre purchase inspection I got blew my mind because there was literally nothing wrong with it. My previous car (2011 BMW 128i) had several repairs I needed to do initially.

Edit: just realized I used some of the same wording as before... facepalm. It’s been a long week.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts