SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove a XC for the day and noticed the following:

1. Great car, enjoyed the drive.

2. Sitting straight in the seat (oh so comfortable), the steering wheel and middle space between the speedo and tach seemed to be slightly to my left, causing me to SLIGHTLY shift my arms accordingly. It was as if the seat was 1/2 inch too far to the right, or the dash to the left.

The more I paid attention to it, the more annoyed I was.

Perhaps I'm crooked.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
quote:

Originally posted by saabstory:
Sounds like VCNA decided to part out Darell's ol' V70 and put the seat in that XC.
Yeah, perhaps. But I wonder if its just the design. It's slight enough that I would think most people wouldn't notice. I'm super sensitive to that kind of thing. Drove my 240 for years with a similar angling problem that nobody else noticed unless i made it a point. Also notice that Saab 9-3 steering wheels are slightly angled/tilted to the left (something my friend and owner of the car didn't notice until i pointed it out on a different 9-3). My S70 is straight, as is my Duett, for that matter.

·
Registered
528 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Duett:
It's slight enough that I would think most people wouldn't notice.
Like you, I'm not "most people" either. It bugged me too, and I complainted about it. They pulled out straight edges, bubble levels, tape measures... All they could prove was that my seat was no more crooked than other new cars on the lot. BUT, they did conceded that they were all crooked. I actually shimmed mine a bit, and that helped.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
quote:

Originally posted by darell:
Like you, I'm not "most people" either. It bugged me too, and I complainted about it. They pulled out straight edges, bubble levels, tape measures... All they could prove was that my seat was no more crooked than other new cars on the lot. BUT, they did conceded that they were all crooked. I actually shimmed mine a bit, and that helped.

Ok, well, then that kind of answers my buried question. It sounds like angling is in the design of model, not just the one i was driving. Too bad. I wonder if the S60 has a similar design flaw (ie, with similar dash design).

·
Registered
528 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by Duett:
It sounds like angling is in the design of model.
Afraid so. In fact, I was told many times that by straightening mine every so slightly, that I was probably defeating some wiz-bang safety feature. That's a tough sell for me, but no mfg wants you messing with what they produce I guess.

I don't have enough butt-time in the S60 to know if they're setup the same way. But my guess is yes. It seemed identical when I sat in the driver's seat at the dealer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts