SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey SS,

I have a question about higher altitude resulting in overboosting. I got my 2001 s60 t5 this summer and once I installed a boost gauge I noted my boost being within reason of what it should be i.e. 11-12 psi. I go to school at 5000 elevation and tonight I did a pull for a friend and I noticed I was boosting over 15. My question is, is this due to the higher altitude or is this a TCV related issue?

·
Registered
7,612 Posts
Quite possibly due to elevation. The car does have an ambient pressure sensor, and can compensate boost to the same absolute pressure. Does your gauge read 0 at altitude as well? That would explain it, if the gauge were absolute it'd read -3 when you were at school and top out at 12 like it does at lower elevations.

My re-flashed C70 would top out and hold 18 psi here in Denver when it was advertised to be around 15.

On the other hand, with less air it reduces your cylinder pressures so engines are less prone to detonation - which is why they don't sell 93 octane gas here. So it could be that the engine simply isn't knocking and the ecu is allowing more boost.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hmm, interesting thank you for the reply! I dont do pulls very often but either way it sounds like im not in too much danger.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts