SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I ran into this forum while trying to find some information regarding my 850 engine renovation.
I'm in the middle of the work of restoring a 850 t5 engine and was hoping to keep the original pistons as I'm not gonna build any "monster engine" here.
However when I removed the cylinderhead and inspected the cylinders I found this:

One of the cylinder is damaged... I'm not well experienced to judging how bad it is. It doesn't look good, however when I feel it with my finger I can't really feel the damage.

But I understand this won't work and I would be stupid to ignore it, my plan was to bore the cylinders to first oversize. (Which I guess is 81.20mm right?)
I called Volvo here in Sweden but unfortunately they don't have any oversized pistons... Only the regular ones...
So my question here would be do you know if there are any other pistons from like S60 or some other car which can be used as an alternative?
As you understand I'm trying to keep the budget down as I actually had hoped that I wouldn't need to change the pistons thats why I'm hoping that maybe there are some alternative piston from S60 or such that might fit?

Thanks in advance
Br
Lehto

·
Registered
898 Posts
Might be easier to source another engine to rebuild. (Or just drop in and go, if the mileage is low enough).

·
Registered
101 Posts
Can you catch an edge with your finger nail?

Personally, I would replace it with a different block since you're already at this point.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Might be easier to source another engine to rebuild. (Or just drop in and go, if the mileage is low enough).
Can you catch an edge with your finger nail?

Personally, I would replace it with a different block since you're already at this point.
Hi, first of all thanks for your replies!

In my case I think it is harder to find a new engine block as they are quite rare here in Sweden actually... Even though its a pretty common car many just dump them at the junkyard and the junkyard owners don't see any money in them so they just recycle everything.
To get this engine I'm renovating I actually had to buy a damaged 850 and took the engine out myself... And I prefere to not get in to the trouble of buying another car just to take the engine out again :p
The milage is unfortunately not low on this one 310,000 km so quite high I'd say.
You don't happen to know any dealer in the US that might have some over sized pistons still stocked?

I was out in the garage today to feel the damage with my nail as you suggested and mostly I could not feel it except in one place to the left in the big horisontal shaped one. :/

Br
Lehto

·
Registered
1,737 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
If your nail gets snagged, it needs to be bored out. I know its frustrating, but nothing is more frustrating than having an engine fail knowing it could have been prevented when it was torn down.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts