SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
How much are you wanting to do with the system? If it's ALOT, and I mean 3 or 4 amps, etc, you may want to upgrade the alternator. Otherwise, the stock one should do just fine.<P>

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I'm thinking about installing 3 amps. Is upgrading the only way? Can't I just install an extra alternator and battery?<P>And another thing: the amps must be more powerfull than the speakers, so that the amps don't reach their max?<P>Thanx

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
the aqnswer...get a stiff! stiffing capasiters would be much better in your situation.but it also depends on if you are running the the stereo without the car running. if the car is running it will be all fine but if not then you will lower the battery and the alternater has to work hard to replace the power therefore the altnaiter will not last as long.<P>

·
Registered
222 Posts
AAAAAHHHHHH!!!, caps are bad, especially in the hands of the untrained. No dont get a capacitor. What is the fuse rating of your amps. A cap will not cut it if you are drawing even one amp over the available current from the alternator. A cap will just be a bandaid, and ontop of that it could do damage to your alternator over an extended period of time. I have worked with Richard Clark on this exact topic before, and the reason is extremely technical, give you an idea his report was over 50 pages long. Adding a second alternator is more work than replacing the stock one, and not the best idea for a daily driver. What I recomend would be upgrading the alternator with one that has a higher output, or having the stock one modified. This isnt cheap. You say you are adding three amps, its more efficiant to use less amps with more power. For instance is two of them are for subs, one amp with twice the output will draw less current. The same for useing more than one amp to say biamp or power front and rear speakers. If you need more than 4 channels of power for your mid high stage, then try ADS for a 6-8 channel amp. Many other companies also make amps with this many channels, but I think ADS is the best deal for the money.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Those batteries are excellent. They have a low ESR, so they are a much lower load on the charging system. The battery is the worse load, but caps are actually more dangerous. The cap can discharge so fast that the Charging system will see an extreme load that quickly goes away, you can sometimes get spikes if the regulator isnt in great shape, etc. I have never been a fan of them, they arent the answer for pretty much any answer. Also, using some very accurate mathematical formulas, a lot of low esr capacitance is necassary to fix even dimming lights. I would need around 50 farads in my car for the system I have, and it would have to be all the 1-3 farad style low esr ones, the Alumipro style ones arent any good at all. I have done a lot of testing with them, and they really are horrible, very expensive, and the slow reaction time they have made them no better than a battery. They made almost no difference in pretty much every system we tried them in.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts