SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok is the voltage output suppose to drop after the engine warms up. I read 14.50 at startup at the aternator, then after a few it drops to 13.60 at the alternator?

also are there any regulators or relays outside the alternator that would make it drop in output?

·
Registered
453 Posts
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternator said:
Modern designs do away with the voltage regulator altogether; voltage regulation is now a function of the electronic control unit (ECU). The field current is much smaller than the output current of the alternator; for example, a 70 A alternator may need only 7 A of field current. The field current is supplied to the rotor windings by slip rings. The low current and relatively smooth slip rings ensure greater reliability and longer life than that obtained by a DC generator with its commutator and higher current being passed through its brushes.
By warmed up, are you referring to how the engine revs slightly when you start the car before slowing to normal idle?

·
Registered
23 Posts
ok is the voltage output suppose to drop after the engine warms up. I read 14.50 at startup at the aternator, then after a few it drops to 13.60 at the alternator?

also are there any regulators or relays outside the alternator that would make it drop in output?
Sounds normal to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts