SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the good news (I think) is that I have the Bosch alternator conversion. The bad news - which may be a standard thing - is that the alternator when tested today is putting out 18 volts. The 122s is a 12 volt originally (right?) so I need to make sure there is a voltage regulator in the circuit right?

Ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Re: Alternator & Voltage question (tdskip)

It should be putting out about 14V, and that should stay steady at any engine speed. If the voltage goes higher with revs, it's not regulating properly. Does it do that?

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Alternator & Voltage question (Phil Singher)

Hi Phil - as always thanks for the help.

Currently (sorry for the bad pun) she is at 18v at higher RPM, on the bench at least.

The local rebuilding shop indicated they could put an internal regulator into keep it at 14.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Re: Alternator & Voltage question (tdskip)

If the voltage rises with speed, the DF circuit is open. That's the one with the spade connector. If the external wiring on that line is good, take off the phenolic panel around that connector and see if the wire from that connector is good inside the alt -- some have another spade inside that can come unplugged or otherwise fail to make contact.

I suppose it could be a regulator failure, although not a typical one. You can get a solid-state external regulator from IPD and other places that's a direct replacement for the old one. No particular advantage in going to an internal regulator that I can see.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.