SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Long title, sorry.
2010 XC60 RD Polestar with a little over 120K miles. No issues and driving down the road and many warnings come on and within seconds some misfires. Less than a minute later engine off and coating to the side of road. I was not driving it so I get the call and then I dispatch wrecker after coaching the driver in use of Autologic that is in the vehicle that day. Lots of low voltage codes, a cyl 5 misfire and a code for ignition coils low signal. Once it is dropped I check the batt V and it is 7.2. Charger kicks off repeatedly so I check and find over 20 A draw with car locked and everything off, the draw goes up 8 A if unlocked and door opened. Do a few checks and it turns over no start with jumper box in play. I pull the intake and go for the alternator I know(assume) is the primary failure and when I pull the batt cable there it is the 20A draw verified with ammeter. I replaced the alternator, install coil fuse found blown and watch the #5 coil erupt like Stromboli did. I replace that coil and the fuse and it starts and idles fine and I clear all the codes set.
Now I have low power. Like zero boost level of power. The Polestar fell out of the sky.

Stay tuned as I am going to sort this out. Maybe a stuck open wastegate or stuck open electric bypass valve. Maybe an ECM commanded continually bypass valve. I immediately thought the ETM hose as I had it off to get intake clear for alternator r&r but it is good. The other thing is the intake noise somewhat like the old turn air cleaner lid upside down on your jacked up Camaro noise.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was a first effort. I left a jumper between disconnected battery cables overnight and that also had no effect. I have now inspected wastegate and bypass valve and also checked to see if ECM was keeping the bypass valve energized and all of that was fine. There are no fault codes other than a low boost code. It runs very smooth and I removed, inspected and re-installed the hose from intercooler to throttle to be sure I didn't have something there allowing air to escape. I also inspected intake to head seals in spite of good idle quality and found nothing in either case. Reloading the ECM is what I think is the next step.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The coil failure misfiring, even brief as it was, took out the converter. The front stone did a major melt and blocked a good portion of the short connector to the second stone. Some damage to the second stone. The converter is an SOB to get off. Drop the angle gear if ever you need to remove one. The firewall panel doesn't get you there and neither does battery and batt tray removal. AG oil change is really easy with it out of vehicle anyway. I needed a serpentine belt service and the other stuff makesthat easier do it was not all wasted wrenching.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts