SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my V50 T5 the alternator had intermittent problems but finally gave up so I took the vehicle to a shop to have it replaced.
I know that the alternator must be removed from the top by removing hoses etc. and not from below.
After the job was done and leaving the shop, I noticed my AC, which previously worked great, was very weak and finally quit working after a couple of days.
Is it possible that if the AC compressor is removed, the alternator can then be replaced from underneath thus saving all the work? The AC belt was changed, could it be the wrong size belt or does any member have any other suggestions please.
PS the AC unit is only a couple of years old.
Thanks

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
Lol, they probably didnt put the belt back on the compressor when they were messing with the tensioner.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
645 Posts
My guess is that by working in that area, one of the a/c hose connections was disturbed and is now leaking.

Further diagnosis to confirm is needed -- is the a/c system low on refrigerant? -- is the clutch not engaging? -- is there an issue with the belt?

It could just be "bad luck" that the a/c is going out right now.

·
Premium Member
9,305 Posts
No way would they remove the compressor for this, it would make the job hugely bigger. But, the alternator belt goes around the AC pulley, and a second belt goes from the AC pulley to the crankshaft. They both have tensioners. But this means if the AC pulley is slipping then the the alternator is not getting turned either.

Have you looked down at the AC clutch, on the face of the AC pulley, to see if it's engaging when AC is called for? If it's not moving at all, or if it moves, then quickly cuts out, it could be a control issue - loose wire, disconnected sensor, or low coolant. If it does engage ok, look at the alternator pulley while that happens and be sure both pulleys continue to turn.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts