SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, so here’s my predicament that I am currently having.

Lately my car has been acting up. My fuel gauge stops working, park assist is acting up and too boot, the faulty gauge left me without gas one night. I had a buddy,(crazyace1104 aka Connor) hook my car up to Dice Vida and pull some codes. There were a crap load of codes present all ranging from park assist to fuel level sender, fuel level sender ground short, passenger climate control temperature faulty, and REM module communication failure.
Now I have done my research and when a battery or alternator stops working or starts to die, random codes erupt and cause massive amounts of problems and codes as well as a ****ty running car etc. Battery was tested at a local AutoZone and read 100% charge. Alternator was also deemed working when the car was idling. When we applied load to the car(ac on, radio on, highbeams etc) the voltage dropped from a 14.4 all the way down to a 13.0 while testing the alternator in the parking lot.
Now, the alternator was also tested via the Dice Vida hook up at idle and it deemed the unit in proper working form. So this is where I stand. I am leaning more towards the alternator is starting to die, or whoever had the car before me put in the wrong size or amperage alternator?

Any thoughts would be great!

-Tyler

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
IF the amperage was approaching the rating for alternator then 13 V is completely normal. Testing alternator output the full on way is to apply a load tester and dial in 12.6 V and read the amperage to the load and add the things not draining via the load (fuel pump, cooling fan and anything else that is drawing, measured with ammeter on the appropriate cable).

Checking voltage with stuff turned as the only loads is only a measuring stick, not a precision ruler.

I'm not saying the laternator doesn't stop charging and cause the problems.
If low voltage is dropping modules off network you will E001 and E000 codes in some places, and communication codes in CEM for the dropped modules. You will also see some low voltages in the frozen values stored in the additional info with the codes.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
bump?

check power/ground vdrop, check battery then check charging output (amps) and compare to voltage.
you can do a alternator test in vida too

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok. i just experienced one low beam turning off and then back on agian, its acting wacky.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Headlights are controlled via CEM. If a light is now wacky, I suspect a poor CEM ground. Look for common ground point for CEM and others behind left kick panel.

In regard to low votages, have you ever seen messages such as:

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt290/justsam/Volvo/th_IMG_0774.jpg

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt290/justsam/Volvo/th_IMG_0773.jpg

no i have not seen either messages, just gas gauge not working every now and then, tonight it was jumping around from 1/4 tank to over half, like immediately while driving.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Having similar issue. What was the outcome?

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Do you now what the cost was?

·
Premium Member
10,797 Posts
3 and change from carquest/ with a personal discount. tascas has em for like 4 and change

1 - 13 of 13 Posts