SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The issue of motor oil for the Drive-E seems a specific problem in the USA. The USA-spec user manual states: "Volvo oil VCC RBS0-2AE/SAE 0W20 is recommended for extreme driving conditions."

However, the only oil that is RBS0-2AE certified is Castrol EDGE Professional V 0W-20 which does not appear to available in the USA. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that if the manufacturer requires only their products be used, they must provide them free of charge. Castrol EDGE Professional V 0W-20 was codeveloped by Castrol and Volvo, and not a Volvo product. I suspect that Volvo North America believes that recommending this hard to come by oil is close enough to requiring it that they want to steer wide of the the law. Or, perhaps the better mileage achieved with 0W-20 over 5W-30 is something that Volvo can only tout by recommending, not requiring RBS0-2AE. I emphasize that this is my conjecture, not fact. I'm happy to be corrected.

The USA-spec manual further states: ''Full synthetic engine oil meeting the minimum ACEA A5/B5 must be used... SAE 5W-30 will provide good fuel economy and engine protection."

As best as I can tell, there are only four 5W-30 ACEA A5/B5 spec oils available in the USA, and unsurprisingly, they're made by European manufacturers (Pennzoil Ultra is "Shell Helix" in much of the world):

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum
Pennzoil Platinum
Castrol EDGE Extended Performance
Castrol EDGE

If you get the oil changed at a Volvo dealer in the USA apparently they use Castrol Edge 5W-30. Interestingly, all of the above oils are available in 0W-20.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thought: is Castrol EDGE Professional V 0W-20 available in Canada?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
The issue of motor oil for the Drive-E seems a specific problem in the USA. The USA-spec user manual states: "Volvo oil VCC RBS0-2AE/SAE 0W20 is recommended for extreme driving conditions."
Interesting and thanks for the awareness! It looks each of us needs to anticipate what our "normal" driving conditions will be for the next 10K (+/-).

On page 551 of the US Owners' manual, it uses the phrase "Adverse driving conditions" and gives the following examples
- towing a caravan or trailer
- in mountainous regions
- at high speeds
- in temperatures colder than -30C or hotter than +40C (i.e., -22F or 104F)

I would like to see the owner's manual updated to offer multiple oil viscosity recommendations (normal, adverse/cold and adverse/hot) rather than only one - particularly if it is not be available in our region.

I will verify what my car's oil viscosity (i.e., ACEA A5/B5 5W30 v. RBS0-2AE/SAE 5W20) is when after it arrives. My T8 will set out in an open air parking lot (inland above 45 degrees N. latitude) with no EV connection during the workday. My region typically has sustained average lows between 0F and -25F (and rarely < -25F). So far, mild this year - no "safe" ice fishing yet.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Conventional wisdom and tribology says that a 30 weight will protect the engine better than a comparable 20 weight. I'm a bit skeptical about the "extreme engine operation" recommendation for 0W-20. Maybe in exceedingly cold places, so perhaps that's due to the car's cold weather lineage. Perhaps.

The expense of the 30W likely comes in higher internal friction leading to lower power output and worse mileage.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MPM oil (a Dutch company by the looks of it) produces 05020VLV which is a Volvo RBS0-2AE spec motor oil. I've been in touch with MPM Oil USA and they can ship this anywhere in North America. I was quoted $280 for 20 liters. $14 per liter isn't an awful price considering Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 is about $10 per quart.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Volvo is not unique in this regard, just check out BMW, MB as well. The oil is available from Castrol as well as Volvo dealers in the US and Canada.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Volvo is not unique in this regard, just check out BMW, MB as well. The oil is available from Castrol as well as Volvo dealers in the US and Canada.
Which oil is available from Volvo dealers in the US? My local dealer does not have the Professional V 0W-20.

·
Registered
344 Posts

However, the only oil that is RBS0-2AE certified is Castrol EDGE Professional V 0W-20 which does not appear to available in the USA. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act states that if the manufacturer requires only their products be used, they must provide them free of charge. Castrol EDGE Professional V 0W-20 was codeveloped by Castrol and Volvo, and not a Volvo product. I suspect that Volvo North America believes that recommending this hard to come by oil is close enough to requiring it that they want to steer wide of the the law. Or, perhaps the better mileage achieved with 0W-20 over 5W-30 is something that Volvo can only tout by recommending, not requiring RBS0-2AE. I emphasize that this is my conjecture, not fact. I'm happy to be corrected.

The USA-spec manual further states: ''Full synthetic engine oil meeting the minimum ACEA A5/B5 must be used... SAE 5W-30 will provide good fuel economy and engine protection."

As best as I can tell, there are only four 5W-30 ACEA A5/B5 spec oils available in the USA, and unsurprisingly, they're made by European manufacturers (Pennzoil Ultra is "Shell Helix" in much of the world):

Pennzoil Ultra Platinum
Pennzoil Platinum
Castrol EDGE Extended Performance
Castrol EDGE

If you get the oil changed at a Volvo dealer in the USA apparently they use Castrol Edge 5W-30. Interestingly, all of the above oils are available in 0W-20.

Hope this helps.
Unless the vehicle lingo states its a requirement, Volvo is not violating any laws. Plus I dont think Volvo dealerships are buying this non-available oil in the the big drums of oil they have for all the oil changes. Its probably a common brand Castrol 5w30.

The only really important factor i guess with this specification is whether or not the specification requires additional long lasting additives to comply with the set engine interval specd by VC for 10K miles. This is a twin charged engine so oil additives tend to be of critical importance. If the bulk oil used by dealerships fails to comply with the recommendations Volvo may say no to warranty issues (which the dealership will be on the hook for). This development wont affect leases or warranty owners, but most likely affect those who purchase this car outside of warranty.

Best thing to do, is purchase that oil from amazon if running your own oil changes, do dealership changes, or get some UOA/VOA tests see what works

·
Registered
51 Posts
there's a lot of variables in the equation that results in a recommended change interval. the only way to be sure what viscosity to use and how long the interval, is to grab and sample and send it off to someone like Blackstone Labs. just because a manufacturer specifies a grade, doesn't mean it will work for all drivers and all conditions. as an example, i once had a complicated honda interference motor that called for 0w-20, but testing showed it to be inadequate for its high desert environment. a change was made to 0w-40 and all was well. one last thing....this 4 banger is a very high tech piece of kit, using expensive parts internally, and expensive external parts like the turbo and screwcharger. i would endeavor to use an ACEA grade oil, and change before the 10K suggested limit; it's simply cheap insurance. same goes for using quality oil and air filters, and changing the air filter regularly....volvo air filters on their turbo cars have always been carefully designed and while a Mann filter here is adequate, i'd pop for the few extra bucks and run the Volvo spec, even though it is likely made by Mann, as it is built to a higher standard.

·
Super Moderator
3,780 Posts
On page 551 of the US Owners' manual, it uses the phrase "Adverse driving conditions" and gives the following examples
- towing a caravan or trailer
- in mountainous regions
- at high speeds
- in temperatures colder than -30C or hotter than +40C (i.e., -22F or 104F)
This discussion is one reason I wish Volvo still put their legacy engines in their cars. Volvo recommends 0W-40 Synthetic meeting A3/B4 spec as one of their severe service oils in the turbocharged 6 cylinder of my XC70. "German Castrol" meeting these requirements is available at Wal Mart for $7 to $8 per quart.

·
Registered
857 Posts
What a pain. Very tempted to just use plain old Mobil1 0W-20 when the time comes, just like in my Honda. Or even Mobil1 5W-20 which I can get a Costco! :D

·
Registered
826 Posts
Just a quick bump, we'll be offering several ACEA A5/B5 engine oils with the Volvo approved RBS0-2AE specifications very soon on our online parts catalog! Sit tight :)
Will you ship to Canada?

·
Registered
5,186 Posts
1 - 20 of 55 Posts