SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Wanted to give an update on a cheap source I found for oil drain plug, diff, angle gear and AOC washers:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/50pcs-18-x-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I've tried them in all four spots and they work great!
Even though the oil drain plug is aluminum, I had no problems using these.
I prefer copper's properties over aluminum for drain plugs.
I did some hardness testing and the copper plugs are softer than the aluminum... less damage to the aluminum mating surface.

Here is the part number I used these in place for:

Volvo Drain Plug Gasket (18x24x1.5mm) - OEM SUpplier 11998
740, 745, 760, 780
Volvo Part #:11998

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Mating copper with aluminum could cause corrosion of the aluminum especially if driving around over salted roads.

·
Registered
503 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
For the first couple of oil changes on the VW I let the north land dealer do it. Upon removal of the plastic pan I found a broken bolt and the plug washer mashed to the point of disintegration. I guess for some strange reason they use Loctite on the bolts and they like their drain plugs tight.

Now on the VW and the Volvo I get 3 or 4 oil changes per washer by just tightening them enough to yield slightly.

·
Premium Member
878 Posts
I've learned my lesson. I bought a cool replacement engine drain plug that has a fingertip handle extension to keep fingers out of hot oil. It came with it's own sealing washer, so I thought I was way ahead, except that the washer is some kind of plastic and it drips a drop of synthetic oil like maybe once a day. I have a bunch of the FCP 9 cent washers waiting to go into service, now. The problem with taking any chance with the washer is the cost of the oil. I know that I could recover the drained oil in a clean container, and filter it back into the engine with a paint strainer, but I just can't get myself to pour used oil into my engine, even if it is MY used oil. Doesn't feel sanitary, somehow :confused:

·
Registered
511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mating copper with aluminum could cause corrosion of the aluminum especially if driving around over salted roads.
I thought the same thing looking at chemistry and some tables, but Volvo uses copper for the angle gear, diff and AOC:
https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/...ar=2013&ukey_category=7095&ukey_driveLine=505

https://www.volvopartswebstore.com/...ar=2013&ukey_category=7095&ukey_driveLine=505

When I removed mine after 134k km, there was no corrosion.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
You can get a hose adapter that screws in for using a hose, just push the hose on, place the drain end into the container and the flip the valve lever. Stahlbus is kind of a hassle, because you need to put the hose on before screwing it into the valve and you need to make sure the drain side is in the container before screwing it on, or you'll make a mess. If your hose has a curl it will flip all over as you screw the drain device into the valve. EZ valve or Fumoto operate the same and easier than Stahlbus and you don`t have 2 separate pieces floating around to contend with.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I zip tied the hose on to the piece. I am using the rectangular pan/container with the holes for the oil to drain into. The one with the big opening and a screen like cover is for a different car. I unscrew the cap on the valve, put the tube into thehole in the pan, attach the piece to the valve, and walk away for a while. When the tube is clear I am done draining. The oil filter on the V8 is where I get a mess. There has to be a trick for that one.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
For V8 the cable run for the level sensor has a clip on the connector, there is no tab (I bought new thinking there was). Comes off pretty easy to make more space to do a filter drop. If you want cleaner, move it out of the way. Same filter assembly as on the 5 and 6 cylinders (certainly more), I have never figured out how to pull the filter without a spill of some sort of all these years.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Glad I am not alone. Thanks for the tip on the sensor. I think I spend as much time cleaning that mess as the rest of the oil change.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I have a little metal tab that holds that wire out of the way of the filter. I always make a mess no matter how careful I am, so I`m not careful anymore and just let the mess come.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts