SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For another type of trip may I suggest the following alternative (I haven't seen this mentioned, if it has been, my apologies):

Take the train from Gothenburg to Stockholm (European trains are great). Spend X days in S-holm, beautiful city!
Take the cruise ferry from Stockholm to Tallinn in Estonia (leaves in the evening, you'll be in Tallinn in the morning). Spend X days in Tallinn.
Take the cruise ferry from Tallin to Helsinki (multiple departures/day). Spend X days in Helsinki.
Take the cruise ferry from Helsinki to Stockholm (leaves in the evening, you'll be in S-holm in the morning). TIP: When arriving to S-holm, wake up early and get a breakfast table near a window. The scenery coming through the Stockholm archipelago is breathtaking!

I recommend the following cruise line company (I've used them multiple times): http://www.tallinksilja.com/en/

You could include St Petersburg in the above itinerary (by train/ferry from Helsinki, bus from Tallinn), but I think you will need a visa to enter into Russia, which makes it more complicated.

You can do all this without putting a mile on your new Volvo. You do not need your vehicle in any of the above cities, all of them have a walkable downtown/oldtown area. However, if you do want to travel with your vehicle, all of the ferries take cars with reservation.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
For another type of trip may I suggest the following alternative (I haven't seen this mentioned, if it has been, my apologies):

Take the train from Gothenburg to Stockholm (European trains are great). Spend X days in S-holm, beautiful city!
Take the cruise ferry from Stockholm to Tallinn in Estonia (leaves in the evening, you'll be in Tallinn in the morning). Spend X days in Tallinn.
Take the cruise ferry from Tallin to Helsinki (multiple departures/day). Spend X days in Helsinki.
Take the cruise ferry from Helsinki to Stockholm (leaves in the evening, you'll be in S-holm in the morning). TIP: When arriving to S-holm, wake up early and get a breakfast table near a window. The scenery coming through the Stockholm archipelago is breathtaking!

I recommend the following cruise line company (I've used them multiple times): http://www.tallinksilja.com/en/

You could include St Petersburg in the above itinerary (by train/ferry from Helsinki, bus from Tallinn), but I think you will need a visa to enter into Russia, which makes it more complicated.

You can do all this without putting a mile on your new Volvo. You do not need your vehicle in any of the above cities, all of them have a walkable downtown/oldtown area. However, if you do want to travel with your vehicle, all of the ferries take cars with reservation.
Done Stockholm - Helsinki - Tallinn - Stockholm...and...2500 miles through Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Norway in 2008...the whole point is to take your brand-new car on a spin...isn't it? And car is the cheapest way to travel in Europe, especially if you do not pay for rental...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Done Stockholm - Helsinki - Tallinn - Stockholm...and...2500 miles through Sweden, Finland, Estonia, Norway in 2008...the whole point is to take your brand-new car on a spin...isn't it? And car is the cheapest way to travel in Europe, especially if you do not pay for rental...
Now that's a roadtrip!! Waw.

I assume you somehow had to get your own car insurance? Or extend the Volvo warranty? As it is limited to two weeks, iirc.

I've been through Scandinavia / The Nordic countries in three weeks.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Now that's a roadtrip!! Waw.

I assume you somehow had to get your own car insurance? Or extend the Volvo warranty? As it is limited to two weeks, iirc.

I've been through Scandinavia / The Nordic countries in three weeks.
Volvo provides the extended insurance beyond 2 weeks at rather nominal price. A full month is ~$100.

·
Registered
7,476 Posts
Cool ! Thanks for sharing.

At that rate, why wouldn't you carefully put a few miles on your new car ... vs paying through the nose for a rental.
Many people do not like/feel uncomfortable to drive, and use trains, boats and planes...I have such examples in my family...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Very true.

And there are people who like their trip organized to the T with every stay in a predetermined hotel, every activity planned out AM & PM, every route mapped out ...
People who only travel by being driven around on a tour bus for the whole trip ...

As long as I don't have to drive through metropolitan areas with a million roads and a gazillion drivers where traffic rules are a mere suggestion; I do fine.

We're much more organic, set our own pace, venture out on our rough itinerary with a few must see things in mind and go with the flow. On our big Scandinavia summer trip we camped out about half the time. Did a B&B or hotel for the rest, depending on circumstances, location, weather.

Anyhow, good to know one can extend the insurance inexpensively. That certainly put a sparkle in my mind for my next vehicle ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts