SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter lost one of the keys for our 2015.5 XC60. It has the proximity key system. I contacted an automotive locksmith and he said he could only duplicate the keys where you have to insert them into the slot on the dash.

The dealer is quoting about $500 for a replacement ($350 for key and $150 for programming).

Is there any other solution?

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
If you find another solution, it's a shop that pays for VIDA and a subscription to allow software.

More overhead.

And guess who pays for that.

·
Registered
362 Posts
You could save money by doing it yourself if you have the DICE unit. With that, you can use the 3-day version of VIDA to program the keys yourself. I did it for my 2015 V60. I only had one key when I bought it used, so I got a cheap key from Ebay and programmed it. The only downside to using the Ebay key is that you don't get the proximity sensor (so no opening locked doors or starting car with the key in your pocket). Instead you have to use the buttons and put the key in the slot to start the car.

IIRC, I paid around $60 for the 3 day VIDA download and I don't think programming keys costs any money. If you don't have a DICE, you'd need to get clone one (which I think runs around $80 and is great to have for other jobs too).

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
Programming keys does cost money. There is a price for the software download as well as the 3 day subscription.

And according to volvotechinfo.com (where you would buy the 3 day subscription) counterfeit DiCE units will no longer function.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Sorry, I was wrong on that after reading more again. It costs $53 for the software in addition to the $60. So you'd be looking at something like $120 to do it yourself (plus the cost of the key itself)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Programming keys does cost money. There is a price for the software download as well as the 3 day subscription.

And according to volvotechinfo.com (where you would buy the 3 day subscription) counterfeit DiCE units will no longer function.
I forgot about he software cost for the key programming, but that would still be less. The bigger issue becomes if VIDA won't work with the clone units. It did work for me about 2 years ago, but they may have figured a way to stop that (though it's hard to say unless people actually test it; it could have said that before too).

·
Registered
5,562 Posts
It recently started saying that. I don't know if it's true or not. They may work for reading out the car and reading codes but it may not work for a download.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
You could save money by doing it yourself if you have the DICE unit. With that, you can use the 3-day version of VIDA to program the keys yourself. I did it for my 2015 V60. I only had one key when I bought it used, so I got a cheap key from Ebay and programmed it. The only downside to using the Ebay key is that you don't get the proximity sensor (so no opening locked doors or starting car with the key in your pocket). Instead you have to use the buttons and put the key in the slot to start the car.

IIRC, I paid around $60 for the 3 day VIDA download and I don't think programming keys costs any money. If you don't have a DICE, you'd need to get clone one (which I think runs around $80 and is great to have for other jobs too).
Thanks. The lack of proximity sensor is the main stumbling block. Several local locksmiths are able to create a duplicate for around $150, but not with the proximity sensor. I've also gotten different statements about whether the buttons on the key/remote would function.

Ugh, pain in the butt.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Thanks. The lack of proximity sensor is the main stumbling block. Several local locksmiths are able to create a duplicate for around $150, but not with the proximity sensor. I've also gotten different statements about whether the buttons on the key/remote would function.

Ugh, pain in the butt.
Yeah it’s a bit of a pain, but it seems like all car keys are like this anymore.

I think if you it with an official Volvo key the proximity sensor would still work. With a cheaper key it won’t, but the buttons will still work for sure (mine do).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts