SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That Volvo navigation often leads us via longer routes is simply a fact, including very generous "alternative route" offers like +10min +5km (who would resist ? ).

But what is happening recently is already a bit too crazy ? :) (in reality nothing was on that road, just normal)

IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1316.jpg

IMG_1317.jpg

IMG_1318.jpg

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
I recently drove a (non-volvo) rental vehicle in the UK and used its integrated navigation system (i.e. from the manufacturer, not one of those add-on GPS unit rental companies sometimes provide as an option). At one point, it thought I was driving on a surface road somewhat parallel to the motorway (similar to highway in the US, I suppose). It kept on suggesting ways to re-enter the motorway, but when the map suggests that the surface road came to an end, the vehicle icon on the map got stuck on an intersection and got farther and farther away from my current position.

I suppose navigation systems aren't always correct, either it hasn't reconciled sufficient location precision or there is some discrepancy in the map database (including perceived traffic condition).

·
Registered
109 Posts
Yeah, the alternative route is kind of BS. Going an alternate route with a million twist and turns to save three minutes isn't worth much. And is the real-time traffic data it's apparently getting on side roads used in the alternate route as sufficient as the main road?
Also, I do wish the alternate route was visible on the main touch display -- that way I can better evaluate the alternate. It's tough sometimes to tell sometimes looking at the mini-display between the speedometer and the tachometer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts