SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer want ~$1,500 to install a hitch, wiring module and update the software. U haul says they will install a hitch and hook up the lights for less than $300. Anyone had Uhaul or other independent install a hitch and wiring? Any issues? Why would it require new software?
Any insight and suggestions appreciated.

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
lol.. ask volvo if that includes trailer hitch fluid.. and how long they need you to bend over.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
I bought a Curt trailer hitch off of ebay, and a wiring kit off of ebay.

Granted, I have some experience around a car (lol) but it only took me 20 minutes to install the hitch with basic hand tools.

The wiring kit was a universal, and I was having some issues with it (I thought) turns out when I took the light holders out, I loosened up a bulb a little bit, so now it doesn't want to stay seated. Total time to install (including tracing down wiring and making it all look factory installed) was about 45 minutes.

I think my total on all of it was about $180. And an hour of my time.

There's a pic with it on.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Aftermarket hitch looks like crap.

The reason I went with Oem is because only the receiver part is visible. $300 or so shipped to my door for the hitch. 24$ for Universal trailer wiring. Took about 2hrs to install the hitch because Oem requires removal of the bumper.

I have seen an aftermarket hitch on an R and it looks terrible, all the metal is exposed under the car.

I realize I payed a premium for the looks but I just cant stand the look of the hitch visible on the R(I would go aftermarket on any other car), and Im too lazy to remove/install the aftermarket hitch everytime I wanted to tow.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts

·
Registered
3,269 Posts
I'd hate to have to put a trailer hitch on the R. Id feel ****ty doing that to my baby.

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I just did a hitch last week for my vr, cost my $150 and hitch wire is $7...install was free..me....i don't think software is needed but can say this. It was installed by me tapping into harness side of OEM plug and hitch harness worked. Went to dealer to get REM, CEM, DIM, ECU, TCU, AND CCM updated yesterday and the last time it has seen a dealership was back in 2008 @ 70k, it has 161k right now. So can't say for sure it doesn't need software but hey i can be wrong. There's my experience, you be the judge.

Sent from my Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

1 - 9 of 9 Posts