·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Nothing anyone says either way will ruffle my feathers so here we go:

I have this 98 S70T5M I "acquired" about 6 months or so ago

Higher miles (180+K)

Motor very good, gearbox good, clutch needed

Body needs some help (full repaint needed, car is black/tan) as does the interior (needs front seat covers, torn) and it needs a clutch.

So, we're about to pull it back inside for a winter project, get it mechanically at stage 0 then off to the body shop and my question is this:

Do I repaint it black (like 75% of the T5Ms out there) or do I paint it a custom color leaving the engine compartment black?
Obviously changing colors costs more as all the jams need to be painted (unless I went with a metallic black like Bob (rsterns) did then they could stay black.

ALL opinions welcome

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
I like your metalic black idea. The black and tan combo looks great too.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
Well, seeing as you're just going to sell it, just paint it black. You won't add additional value with a custom paint.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
835 Posts
Yeah, If you're just going to turn around and sell it, don't bother getting all crazy. Keeping it? Polestar blue :)

·
Registered
950 Posts
Vinyl wrap! Like Wheelers Dealers did on the Mini. Well, maybe not.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I agree with just a simple respray in the original colour, why? Because if you're just doing the car up to the point where you can sell it and turn perhaps some profit, then you'll keep your market broad with a car that is "original". Whereas if you change the colour to something custom, you may limit your customer base, as well as raise some people's suspicions as to why you changed the colour from a factory colour. I know when looking at used cars myself, I get a bit turned off if the car has been changed in colour as there is a possibility that there was either an accident or that they are simply trying to hide something.

As stated though, if you're keeping it, then have at it and do something cool!

Either way, best of luck and interested to see how it turns out either way! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
How about one of the rare/desireable colors; saffron, laser blue, platinum pearl?

·
Administrator
55,918 Posts
Document the vehicle before with plenty of photos to show why the vehicle was repainted. Do the paint job right with the visible areas, including the jams with Black Sapphire. Include a R front bumper cover in the process. Profit may be lower but you will have fully restored and modernized exterior with a little more pop than just black.

For bonus points, pull the windshield prior to paint and install new glass, at this age fresh glass is nice for a next owner and you won't have tape off the seals. If you pull the door and rear glass, you could have those tinted while its out and add new weather seals. A bit much for a car that will be sold but the new owner will know the paint job was thorough.

Going with Saffron would be more unique but you would need to pull everything apart and spray it properly so it doesn't look half baked. The black engine bay would be ok with Saffron, just paint the radiator support area, under the hood, and where the fenders bolt to the car (basically as much as you can) - if that's a bridge too far, go with either Black Sapphire or a real nice and glossy original black.

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Document the vehicle before with plenty of photos to show why the vehicle was repainted.

NOT SURE IF THAT'S SUCH A GREAT IDEA ON THIS ONE. ALREADY HAS 2 PRIMERED FENDERS AND WILL HAVE TWO PRIMERED DOORS SOON. PAINT IS MOSTLY FADED ON THE REST OF THE TOP SURFACES, I MEAN REALLY FADED, LIKE DOWN TO PRIMER! :rolleyes:!

ODDLY THE FRONT END WAS NOT WRECKED, IN FACT THE CAR WAS 100% WHOLE WHEN I GOT IT.
JUST HAD SOME DENTS, SOME TOO WEIRD TO REPAIR SO BUYING A PAIR OF USED STRAIGHT FENDERS FOR $130 FOR THE PAIR WAS DEFINITELY EASIER AND THE WAY TO GO.
THEY TOOK ONLY A LITTLE OVER TWO HOURS TO R&R, NOT SURE YET ABOUT THE TWO RIGHT DOORS, I'M PRETTY SURE THEY'RE SAVABLE, JUST A VERY LARGE CREASE/+ MEDIUM DENTS THROUGH THE BOTTOM PORTION OF BOTH DOORS.
THE REST IS JUST THE USUAL, SMALL DINGS AND DENTS AND FADED/WORN OUT PAINT ON THE TOP SURFACES

Do the paint job right with the visible areas, including the jambs with Black Sapphire.

DOING JAMS REQUIRES I ORDER ALL NEW DOOR JAMB TAGS ( FOR THIS VIN) NOT SURE IF VOLVO STILL OFFERS THIS ON SUCH AN OLDER CAR Black jambs on a Black Saff car should be fine

Include a R front bumper cover in the process.

HAVE ONE. IN POOR SHAPE BUT SINCE THE BUMPER NEEDS PAINTING ANYWAY, I ALWAYS PLANNED THAT!

For bonus points, pull the windshield prior to paint and install new glass, at this age fresh glass is nice for a next owner and you won't have tape off the seals.

I HAVEN'T LOOKED AT THE GLASS CLOSE ENOUGH TO DECIDE. (THAT ACTUAKLLY REQUIRES WASHING THE CAR... :facepalm: I NEED TO CLEAN IT THOROUGHLY.
IIRC, THE GLASS IS PRETTY GOOD AN MAY HAVE ALREADY BEEN REPLACED

If you pull the door and rear glass, you could have those tinted while its out and add new weather seals. A bit much for a car that will be sold but the new owner will know the paint job was thorough.

SEE ABOVE

Going with Saffron would be more unique but you would need to pull everything apart and spray it properly so it doesn't look half baked. The black engine bay would be ok with Saffron, just paint the radiator support area, under the hood, and where the fenders bolt to the car (basically as much as you can) - if that's a bridge too far, go with either Black Sapphire or a real nice and glossy original black.

AGAIN, TOO POLARIZING A COLOR

I agree with just a simple respray in the original colour, why? Because if you're just doing the car up to the point where you can sell it and turn perhaps some profit, then you'll keep your market broad with a car that is "original".
I will never make anything or anything worth writing about on this one.
Needs too much work to make it very nice, but that's the way I do things.

I would not paint it a polarizing color ie: Saff, Laser or Platinum but metaBlack metallic, which would not really cost more than solid black except perhaps in material costs, could possibly make it stand out a bit while still being classy.
Everyone would know it's not original with new paint anyway so being "original" is out of the question.

·
Registered
2021 Volvo S60 T5 AWD
7,283 Posts
I would do black sapphire as well. Just keep the color within the Volvo family.

But as its a resale car, just stick with the original black.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've always thought when I repaint mine, I might do a metallic black. But a subtle metallic.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
I love the black sapphire on my car. After not being too crazy about the color for a year or so, it has really grown on me now.

·
Registered
168 Posts
If you're just selling it for a profit, why would you paint it anyways? I would think that most people looking for this kind of vehicle would be looking for a "beater" anyways, so a good "cut, polish, and wax" will be enough for your intended audience.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I will never make anything or anything worth writing about on this one.
Needs too much work to make it very nice, but that's the way I do things.

I would not paint it a polarizing color ie: Saff, Laser or Platinum but metaBlack metallic, which would not really cost more than solid black except perhaps in material costs, could possibly make it stand out a bit while still being classy.
Everyone would know it's not original with new paint anyway so being "original" is out of the question.
Yes this is true, it's never easy to make any kind of profit on a car that isn't rare or highly desirable, i'm sure if it were an R then you'd be able perhaps to make something off it, but it sounds like you have the right mindset and are heading in the right direction with the respray.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
If you're just selling it for a profit, why would you paint it anyways? I would think that most people looking for this kind of vehicle would be looking for a "beater" anyways, so a good "cut, polish, and wax" will be enough for your intended audience.
Read again what I replied above as to its condition right now

Yes this is true, it's never easy to make any kind of profit on a car that isn't rare or highly desirable, ...
Isn't rare?
One of 350 is quite rare.
How many are left now, half that at best!

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I agree with Jim on this one. It's a pretty rare Volvo.

I would never have thought about the tags with the vin and manufacturers info on them actually. It should be pretty easy to check if Volvo still prints these.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts