SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok everybody 1st off thanks in advance on the help ! now on to the good stuff !:D

i have a "my12" s60 T6 AWD well a couple days ago i hit a pot hole & it put a bubble in the sidewall of one of my tires ( so the next day i go in for my 15 K service & rotate & balance & re-alinment )

so i was informed that i needed a new tire so i bought two of course since it's AWD.

well now that i have the two new tires on the rear. the car doesn't act normal. it feels soft in the corners.
now also feels like in the corners that the traction control is applying the brakes. & in hard left corners it turns the trac. light on & almost sounds like the tire is rubbing the inside of the fender well & same the thing with hard right hand turns except on trac light

one thing i was wondering is how much in tire tread depth difference between front & rear can there be with out freaking out the traction control & other features

front tires ( outside have 4/32nds / middle & inside have 7/32nds )

rear tires have 10/32nds all the way across

·
Super Moderator
39,263 Posts
Always put the best/newest tires on the front especially on a FWD-biased car. Regardless, you want to have the newest tires on the front s that is the most critical part of the car, in case a blowout happens.

·
Registered
281 Posts
ok everybody 1st off thanks in advance on the help ! now on to the good stuff !:D

i have a "my12" s60 T6 AWD well a couple days ago i hit a pot hole & it put a bubble in the sidewall of one of my tires ( so the next day i go in for my 15 K service & rotate & balance & re-alinment )

so i was informed that i needed a new tire so i bought two of course since it's AWD.

well now that i have the two new tires on the rear. the car doesn't act normal. it feels soft in the corners.
now also feels like in the corners that the traction control is applying the brakes. & in hard left corners it turns the trac. light on & almost sounds like the tire is rubbing the inside of the fender well & same the thing with hard right hand turns except on trac light

one thing i was wondering is how much in tire tread depth difference between front & rear can there be with out freaking out the traction control & other features

Check this:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=18
They note that even a 4/32 difference (in their example which may vary depending on tire size) can place a continuous strain on the tires and on the AWD system:
Quote from the tirerack.com article: "While the difference of 1/8" in overall diameter doesn't seem excessive, the resulting 4 revolutions per mile difference can place a continuous strain on the tires and vehicle's driveline. Obviously, the greater the difference in the tires' circumferences, the greater the resulting strain".

·
Registered
780 Posts

·
Registered
21,166 Posts

Based on the specs from the out of alignment fronts, I would recommend four new tires. That's a pretty big shoulder wear difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts