SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My R is not my performance car, it's my daily driver, so I'm not looking for ultimate performance tires to drive my kid and dog around between my trips from work to home. With that said I'm looking for suggestions on which tires R owners are using that fit the all season description.

I have miserably loud yoko yk520 on the car now, came with it. Worst tires ive ever had, can't take it any longer. Gotta buy some new rubber by the weekend because these tires make my car sound like I'm always in an airplane -- hard to believe they can be that bad? Unfortunately it's true.

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
My R is not my performance car, it's my daily driver, so I'm not looking for ultimate performance tires to drive my kid and dog around between my trips from work to home. With that said I'm looking for suggestions on which tires R owners are using that fit the all season description.

I have miserably loud yoko yk520 on the car now, came with it. Worst tires ive ever had, can't take it any longer. Gotta buy some new rubber by the weekend because these tires make my car sound like I'm always in an airplane -- hard to believe they can be that bad? Unfortunately it's true.

Thanks in advance
My car when purchased came with Fierce instinct tires. Though they would not be the tire of choice again because I want some sticky ass summer tires, they are performing on a level that suits me for the time being!
Walmart I think caries them and they are about 130$ a tire, and they are good for 186mph+ :) Tread ware is a 400 so they should last you 30-40K miles or more.

So they are cheap, have EXCELLENT tread ware and have a pretty good wet, dry and winter traction.
Im looking to get rid of mine for like 400$ where ya located?

-Connor

·
Registered
135 Posts
I'm guessing other's are not responding given this has been an issue covered about 100 times already (probably more). The best AS tires out there seem to be the Continental DWS. I've had them for the past 40k and although they're getting louder and I'm missing the snow and much of the rain capabilities now, they have been a great tire overall.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
Continental Extremecontact DWS, which stands for "Dry, Wet, Snow". Sporty, but also great wet traction.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Conti's are good tires, dont get me wrong. If you look hard enough, you can save some serious coin with some of the off brand tires. Most of them are crap, yes. However, there are a few winners among the bunch.

Maxxis MA-Z1
Federal SS595 (not the RS595 or 595EVO, those are basically race tires)

I'll vouch for both of those, they stick like glue, ride well, last forever, are quiet until the last 10%, and are ridiculous in the rain. No experience with snow here in Texas, so if you need snow traction...ignore everything i've said, I go WOT everywhere sideways in the snow at 5mph

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Conti dws as others have said Is the general consensus here however I have heard reports that the sidewalls are weak.

·
Registered
2004 S60R 6M - 2006 V70R 6M - 2014 XC60 R-Design OSD - 2015.5 XC70 T6 Platinum
1,802 Posts
Read the test report on the Tire Rack site for Ultra High Performance All-Season tires. It offers objective information based on actual performance versus just customer ratings.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=147

That being said, I have driven the Pirelli P Zero Nero All Season tire on two different cars. It's quiet, tracks well over grooved roadways, and holds very well during high-speed cornering.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Barum Bavarius 2, made by Continental. You will be surprised.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I just ditched my Conti DWS tires for a set of Bridgestone Potenza RE970 AS Pole Positions. I have yet to run them wet or in snow but my initial impression is very favorable. I have noticed much faster turn in, better ride quality, less slap over cracks and joints in the road, etc. The big difference from what I have read and seen so far is the DWS is not an XL load rated tire and performance with the R may suffer as a result. Also Costco is running a 100 dollar off deal on the Bridgestones until August 18th.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Same here I ditched my Conti DWSs, don't get me wrong very good overall tire. I'm now on Toyo Versado LXIIs and one key feature over the DWSs, I think they are quieter and after one winter I didn't have any issues.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
If you have the money i would get the bridgestone potenzas-excellent traction in all weather conditions!

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
Don't buy all season tires, only pussies do that.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I have DWS as well and I am satisfy with it.
Its performs just well as a ultra high performance all season tires (but not the best one)
It actually comes alive when it's wet and probably the best UHP AS tire in snow.
The sidewall is soft for a UHP tire.
And it costs less than many others.
This is my daily driver and I want it to at least take me from point A to point B 365days a year.
This tire delivers.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I'm guessing other's are not responding given this has been an issue covered about 100 times already (probably more). The best AS tires out there seem to be the Continental DWS. I've had them for the past 40k and although they're getting louder and I'm missing the snow and much of the rain capabilities now, they have been a great tire overall.
I have been running the DWS on our '98 S70 T5 for the last 25k miles, but I run the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus on the VR. I am winding down on my second set and have ordered the same for replacements. The PS A/S is great in water and snow. I avoided a being a victim in a 20 car pileup two years ago, and I owe much of that to the this tire. I had a very narrow way through the many collisions, and the car went exactly where I wanted it to go.

Both the Conti DWS and Michelin PS A/S Plus are good tires. The Michelin has a higher load rating than the Conti which equates to more sidewall stability. The DWS is just not a good performer in the corners.

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
I run 17" DWS on my pegs in the winter and they have treated me well. They have nice performance for an all season tire and last a long time. IMO, their weakness is a very soft sidewall. I find that it isn't so much of an issue in 235/45/17. However, I tried running DWS in 235/40/18 and found there wasn't enough rim protection.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts