SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,097 Posts
quote:

Originally posted by silvereye:
When will the new S40 come out, and what is expected?
MY2004 maybe 2004.5
Expected are 5 cylinders.

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
I heard it will share the new S40/Focus platform.

Rally car or Touring car???
Ford better up its quality really soon or I'll be pissed

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
I posted this in another thread, but it's applicable here...

quote:

Apparently, Ford is referring to the platform as C1 and C1+. It's a modular platform, much like what VW has planned for thiers as well. Components will allow ford to build cars from as small as the Focus to as large as the Galaxy minivan replacement (about the size of the first generation Honda Odyssey).
At Volvo, Car Magazine, is suggesting that this platform structure will play home to the S40 and V50 (we knew this) but also the next generation S60.

I assume Haldex will be the AWD system they allude to, as they've been hinting at their system being readily available in a Big 3 product anyway (Focus?).

I know this platform was planned for the next Gen Mazda 3, but I wonder if a version of it is what the current 6 is based on now? I know the 6 is not on the current Mondeo platform, and I also know the next gen Mondeo will be based on C1.

I think the next gen Jag X-type will be on the smaller version of the DEW RWD platform that currently hosts the S-Type and Lincoln LS. That shortened smaller version will also host the Mustang.
I'd guess that they'll keept he Focus as the Rally contender and they'll keep Volvo in Touring Cars. Right now, they're promoting the S60, but once the 40 comes out and is presumably smaller, lighter and probably more rigid, they'll probably switch to it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The C1 (Focus) based S40 and V50 will be out in late '03 as an '04. They will be assembled on the same line as the Focus in Europe (Belgium I believe), not Mexico. The Foci in Europe have a better quality level and content level to match the European market. This should assist in preserving Volvo's quality levels.

Some things I've heard that should differentiate the S40 from the Focus:
  • Exterior and interior design
  • Volvo 4 and 5 cylinder engines
  • Seats and trim
  • Heat and A/C systems

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
hmm. If it comes with the five cylinder turbo sign me up for a new one

I think the quality from european plants exceeds the ones in north america and mexico. At least it seems the cars are made better. My 850 was made in Belgium, but this new S-40 would be out the Ford plant, correct?
Doesn't sound to bad.

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Actually it might be very benificial to develope one platform in two seperate styles of racing (Rally & Touring car). I'm sure data would be shared and the next generation after the 2004 platform will be super awesome!
Maybe this could work very well after all...

·
Premium Member
6,997 Posts
There's certainly an economies of scale effect. If they develope a part for one racecar, then using it in both would make developement cheaper per car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts