SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 350 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been a scarcity of news lately about Volvo's plans to produce a fully electric XC40. This is in contrast to a steady stream of news from Polestar about the Polestar 2. Have I missed something? Is Volvo still on track to have a fully electric XC40 in 2021?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
There has been a scarcity of news lately about Volvo's plans to produce a fully electric XC40. This is in contrast to a steady stream of news from Polestar about the Polestar 2. Have I missed something? Is Volvo still on track to have a fully electric XC40 in 2021?
Fully electric xc40 to be unveiled at the end of 2019 and production start in 2020

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Fully electric xc40 to be unveiled at the end of 2019 and production start in 2020
Coincident to Polestar 2 production starts early 2020, though built in different factory. P*2 is built in China and XC40 EV in Belgium.
Maybe the reason is they will use battery from same source.

·
Registered
994 Posts
"Order books have opened, with deliveries scheduled to start in February 2020. Before then, we'll see the pure-electric XC40 later this year."

hmmm...

·
Registered
610 Posts
It's interesting that this XC40 PHEV is front-wheel-drive only -- if the autoblog article is accurate. That would be different from all other Volvo PHEVs, which are AWD with ICE power going to front axle and EV power going to rear axle. If they are able to put electric and ICE power to one axle, then they ought to be able to put electric and iCE power to both axles, theoretically -- which would make the Volvo PHEVs much better AWD vehicles. I was disappointed, however, to see that the battery pack is still only 10.7 kWh; considering that Volvo has been making PHEVs for some years now, it's a shame that they haven't been able to get their packs up to 15 or 20 kWh by now (even the much-smaller and much-cheaper Chevy Volt PHEV car has an 18.4-kWh battery pack).

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
The reason for the small battery capacity is due to the fact that the battery is situated where the propshaft would normally be in a RWD or AWD car. This is intentional and part of the SPA strategy from the outset, providing a distinct advantage with regards to conserving boot space, as opposed to a significant loss in boot space of all competitors. I think the SPA2 platform will also utilize a similar solution albeit with improvements to the packaging; possibly allowing larger batteries and a larger electric engine in the rear somehow.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
It's interesting that this XC40 PHEV is front-wheel-drive only -- if the autoblog article is accurate. That would be different from all other Volvo PHEVs, which are AWD with ICE power going to front axle and EV power going to rear axle. If they are able to put electric and ICE power to one axle, then they ought to be able to put electric and iCE power to both axles, theoretically -- which would make the Volvo PHEVs much better AWD vehicles. I was disappointed, however, to see that the battery pack is still only 10.7 kWh; considering that Volvo has been making PHEVs for some years now, it's a shame that they haven't been able to get their packs up to 15 or 20 kWh by now (even the much-smaller and much-cheaper Chevy Volt PHEV car has an 18.4-kWh battery pack).
How much more you'd like to pay for the extra battery, and with worse highway MPG and acceleration when battery is low?

·
Registered
994 Posts
The reason for the small battery capacity is due to the fact that the battery is situated where the propshaft would normally be in a RWD or AWD car. This is intentional and part of the SPA strategy from the outset, providing a distinct advantage with regards to conserving boot space, as opposed to a significant loss in boot space of all competitors. I think the SPA2 platform will also utilize a similar solution albeit with improvements to the packaging; possibly allowing larger batteries and a larger electric engine in the rear somehow.
I think electric cars should be designed from scratch rather than using a platform designed around an engine. That is likely a big reason why Tesla has so much more range than a lot of the competition.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
I think electric cars should be designed from scratch rather than using a platform designed around an engine. That is likely a big reason why Tesla has so much more range than a lot of the competition.
CMA platform is designed for both ICE and EV from start.

Tesla is light body (also not as strong), and maybe better motor and power management. Polestar tech stuff admit it.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
Nice! Dual motors on front and rear. Great sibling of Polestar 2!

Seems I have now a reason to pick a EV, as I have only one power plug, to charge a PHEV everyday, and an EV every week at home.

Also would love to see if it uses Android UI.

Drive assist system is also a new one by Zenuity. Curve handling should be better now.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Actually what I have shared is valid for plug-in hybrid drivetrains. Pure EV design from scratch is indeed advantageous however that’s not the reason why Tesla has superior range, it’s about their knowhow in battery management software and slightly modified batteries rather than off the shelf batteries.

·
Registered
59 Posts

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
It is all from the press release:
https://www.media.volvocars.com/glo...lectric-car-and-one-of-the-safest-on-the-road

It will be interesting to see if people will ignore the coming XC40 PHEV because of the EV is coming.

I am mostly interested to know if it can be charged on other providers like Tesla superstation.
The range is said to be 250 miles, means practically you will need to look for a charge station after 200 miles on a long trip.

·
Registered
237 Posts
PLEASE PLEASE let the all electric XC40 be a CBV option, by June 2020, just asking for a friend!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Nice! Dual motors on front and rear. Great sibling of Polestar 2!

Seems I have now a reason to pick a EV, as I have only one power plug, to charge a PHEV everyday, and an EV every week at home.

Also would love to see if it uses Android UI.

Drive assist system is also a new one by Zenuity. Curve handling should be better now.
Why do you think curve handling would be better?! The XC40 is top heavy.

·
Registered
6,172 Posts
PLEASE PLEASE let the all electric XC40 be a CBV option, by June 2020, just asking for a friend!
They will I think. All popular models are now included in CBV.

Sent from my Z978 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 350 Posts