SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Long story short...I've owned a V70 and an S80 and alignment shops have told me they can adjust adjust rear tow, but not camber. Frustrated, I built my own fully adjustable rear control arms to fit my S80 since I couldn't find any aftermarket ones. Now I have a full alignment and don't wear the inside treads of my rear tires. I'd like to help others if they are in similar situation.

Whice Volvo models have adjustable rear camber, if any?
Do others just accept driving an out of alignment Volvo when they get a bad report from their alignment shop?
If my adjustable S80 control arm design would work for other model owners, which models and years would they work on? Ie, Is the 2007+ S80 rear control arm the same as XC70 XC90?

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
There are many adjustable options for the P1s, because we share the same platform as the Focus and Mazda3.
I'm sure the P2 guys have options as well, with how popular the Rs are.

Great job for fabricating your own parts! Any pics?
Built from scratch or did you modify an existing arm?

·
Registered
63,543 Posts
ipd used to sell an adjustable rear arm bushing to deal with this on lowered Rs.
I think they should fit any AWD rear subframe. Install however is not easy at all

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
As you say, the P1, Focus and Mazda had a solution for adjustable (aftermarket) that were showing up everywhere while I searched for a solution for mine. In fact, I learned there was a Volvo "service solution" for these vehicles that was a replacement that had one less degree of negative camber (but not adjustable) from Volvo. Thinking the redesign of the 2013 rear upper casting for the S80 was likely the same solution, Volvo told my dealer to order them...they were different, but identical camber problem! The dealer happily returned them when I showed them they lined up exactly with the old part. Volvo missed an opportunity there.

The alignment shop said the ipd solution would require pressing their parts in a multiple times after taking camber measurements each time so they didn't recommend that especially if future alignments were needed down the road.

I've got some pics but need to find a method other than Google Photos to post here.

I repurposed other control arms and added adjustability with custom CNC machining. I still have factory FoMoCo left and right rear upper castings if anyone wants to buy a doorstop or unidirectional boomerang!

It's amazing how many cars I follow behind and notice how severe the tops of rear tires lean inward...When at redlight, I always knock on the drivers window if it's an S80 and ask them if they have premature rear tire wear (even more amazing, I haven't been shot yet for asking (-: )

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
It's amazing how many cars I follow behind and notice how severe the tops of rear tires lean inward...When at redlight, I always knock on the drivers window if it's an S80 and ask them if they have premature rear tire wear (even more amazing, I haven't been shot yet for asking (-: )
-2° of rear camber is still within factory spec for many manufacturers, which is fairly noticeable by eye. Your rear camber should never be completely square for both handling and performance.

-1.5° is a happy medium on most Volvos for maintaining decent handling but not coning your tires, but a lot of people will set more camber for faster turning.
I'm not talking about the full on stanced crap, but up to -4° so that the tires level off and have the maximum amount of rubber on the road for hard turns at 80mph+

You can see in this picture, both my fronts and rear have a decent amount of camber:

Just saying, don't consider all those cars you see to have extreme camber by accident. :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First of all, that silver/blue color combo looks delicious! Unlike you, I won't be taking my Volvo on the Tail of the Dragon anytime soon (that's reserved for my BMW K1200LTC), so went with the alignment shops' recommendation of the minimum to be in the Volvo recommended range...I think this was -5/8° on the rear.

You're right, I probably shouldn't make assumptions what others want their camber to be, but when I see a Porsche boxer or a car like yours, I presume you intend to be running 55mph on the cloverleaf exits...I would too! 99% of my driving is interstate...If it wasn't out of spec, I'd probably be running 0° to make my tires last longer.

Thanks for the feedback and awesome pics, now I can't stop thinking how a ralley stripe job would look on Oyster Grey :)

·
Super Moderator
15,165 Posts
Thanks for the compliments!
I do have to remind myself that we're talking about an S80 here. The ultimate car in Volvo's luxury line up, not a small "sports" car. :)

I will admit, the heavier weight of the V50 and C70 (P1 platform is my field of expertise) do suffer from extensive rear camber. The stock arms are sufficient for the lighter C30 and S40, but it puts it at the near extreme for the others. I drive that C30 ~40k miles a year as my daily commuter, so I often think about squaring up the stance to save my tires... But there is in fact a clover leaf on my commute and some great mountain roads to get to my house; I have too much fun to be willing to make the car "efficient" for saving tires. ;)

·
Registered
3,412 Posts
You could always go the cheap route and get adjustable rear camber bolts. And I've also noticed that the more 'sporty' the cars tend to be, the more negative the rear camber tends to be. Just an odd setup for daily use.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Dodenhoff... Very interested in the details of how you made them adjustable. Specifically, which did you modify, upper or lower (assume lower)?? What would the cost be to have this done?? I ask as a number of folks in my area are putting S60 R springs on the S60 2.5T AWDs to get the rear end down.

The lowering really messes with camber. As the configuration of the rear AWD is the same non-R vs R AWD, the question of different lower control arms on the R's so the camber is correct. Preferably, adjustable control arms would allow DD and track days to be accommodated.

Please elaborate..

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I would also like more info and pics as I plan on lowering my car in the future. The ipd solution however was created with help from Volvo so that's what volvo came up with. Adjustable arms would be so much better though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
642 Posts
On the P1, it seems an easy fix to maintain the handling and correct the tire wear using the adjustable arms and a beefier rear sway bar. I guess Volvo made the right call on the C70, because it is a little harsher ride with the upgrade. A performance suspension option would have been nice (including FSD), but that's water under the bridge.

How's the handling on the S80 without the rear camber? It felt really bad on the C70 until I mounted the RSB, but I drive like a maniac.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I experienced the same issue with an 09 S60 and an 07 C70. At the time my alignment shop gave me a website that had some type of adjustable device, but I never checked it out for shortly after that I sold both vehicles. I guess this another quirk of Volvo!

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I experienced the same issue with an 09 S60 and an 07 C70. At the time my alignment shop gave me a website that had some type of adjustable device, but I never checked it out for shortly after that I sold both vehicles. I guess this another quirk of Volvo!
Do you know the website?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts