SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Noticed some odd tire wear so I took the car in for an alignment today.

This is the report they gave me. I'm pretty dumb when it comes to suspension stuff so if anyone can translate this thing I'd be appreciative.

Mostly, I'm wondering why they couldn't get the rear end in alignment. Also, why is -0.9° camber out of spec before alignment but not after? It appears to me that they didn't accomplish anything in the rear.

Floor plan Plan Design Architecture Schematic

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Camber isn’t adjustable in the rear. Therefore you are at the mercy of your suspension components/chassis. You’d have to be at -3/-4+ to see any negative wear. Chances are if you are seeing any tire wear on the inside it is a result of the worst bushing Volvo ever installed in location 5 and 8 on the Powerflex chart. The bigger one is best replaced ASAP. You’ll see a huge increase in handling and a huge decrease in ruined tires....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah, control arm bushings. Yes that makes sense. Thanks so much for your insight. Also, man this thing handles better with an alignment! It always got squirrely when the front end got light... I knew it needed help but holy moly. It's like a completely different car.

After motor mounts and shocks, the suspension bushings are next. My front shocks squeak and squawk like a latex balloon.

What's odd to me is that the inside of both front tires is completely worn down... like, to the belts, while the rest of the tire is fine. (Only on wear band showing)

I'm getting replacements tomorrow (had to order them) but I'm hoping the alignment they did today prevents that from happening again.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Camber isn’t adjustable in the rear. Therefore you are at the mercy of your suspension components/chassis.
While I didn't do the spanner work myself I can't say that this was true, it IS true that the offset bushing gives very little adjustment - and IPD make a set that gives considerably more range, it is there.

I know this because three times now I've had to have my alignment done because of camber (and toe with it, because apparently that's how AWD P2 rear suspension works..).
Most recently because despite all the adjusters being tight, my camber changed enough after the powerflex 'settled in' to completely chew out the inner edge of my Pirelli P Zero Nero's.

Now I still haven't nailed down why my rear is so sensitive to side hop, hit a manhole cover and it will buck around.

·
Premium Member
3,738 Posts
If you have an alignment shop near you that does lifetime alignments, it might be worth it.

When I was dailying my R, I'd get an alignment every quarter. The roads around here are trash, and the R seemed to go out of spec fairly frequently.

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
While I didn't do the spanner work myself I can't say that this was true, it IS true that the offset bushing gives very little adjustment - and IPD make a set that gives considerably more range, it is there.

I know this because three times now I've had to have my alignment done because of camber (and toe with it, because apparently that's how AWD P2 rear suspension works..).
Most recently because despite all the adjusters being tight, my camber changed enough after the powerflex 'settled in' to completely chew out the inner edge of my Pirelli P Zero Nero's.

Now I still haven't nailed down why my rear is so sensitive to side hop, hit a manhole cover and it will buck around.
Replace bushing 5 and 8 for the rear front toe arm. Side hop = GONE

·
Registered
236 Posts
Replace bushing 5 and 8 for the rear front toe arm. Side hop = GONE

I wish....

here's all the ones we did
1 Volvo Front Arm Rear Bush
2. Volvo Rear Beam Front Mounting Bush
3. 1 × Volvo Rear Beam Rear Mounting Bush
4. 1 × Volvo Rear Inner Rear Lower Arm
5. REAR TOE CONTROL ARM BUSHING FRONT
6. 1 × Volvo Rear Lower Centre Arm Inner
7. 1 × Volvo Rear Lower Centre Arm Outer
8. REAR TOE CONTROL ARM TO HUB BUSHING
9. 1 × Volvo Rear Outer Rear Lower Arm

along with the IPD sways I think the stiffer bushes have exacerbated some play elsewhere, I'm starting to think the only things left are tie rods, end links that sort of thing, but suspension was never my forte.

·
Registered
236 Posts
That list was just copied from my powerflex order, they are all street spec powerflex - the Volvo is their part descriptor.
I'm open to any ideas or input on next steps as what to try, given how much coin I've already thrown at it I'd like to not keep throwing parts and $$$ at it randomly, but there's not much left we didn't do.

·
Registered
539 Posts
My car use to side hop over every bump. Turned out that the rear 4c was gonzo. Installed a used set of bc’s from Conner and side hop was gone and has never presented itself again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
236 Posts
Brand new BC DS series all around (I should have stuck with BR's as they are a bit jiggly at lower speeds, great on highways though)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts