SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to drop off my car for some repairs this Tuesday and since I changed my shock absorbers I'm going to ask them to do an alignment. But here is my dilemma.

I have 3 sets of wheels and tires:

1. My latest set is my purely summer tires 225x40x18. I typically don't bring those to the shop because they have my imported wheels and with the different aftermarket bolt size I'm concerned they would damage them with their impact gun in a hurry approach.

2. I still have my previous set of all seasons 205x50x17. I've hang on to those for the time being and they've came quite handy when I had a flat this summer. I typically go to the dealer with those.
I'm going to use those pre-winter and early spring I think to get my $$$ summer tires to last longer.

3. I also have my winter tire set 205x55x16 which I use from the first snow mid-November to mid-March depending on the weather.

So questions:
- I understand ideally I'd align the car for the best tires I think. But how much does it really matter that my alignment is made with my 205x50 rather than my 225x40 (the diameters are very close but the width is a departure and the 18s compress less than the 17s)?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Alignment isn't really affected by your wheels, you're fine.
Great! thx.
I knew it might sound like a stupid detail but considering the difficulty to import my new wheels I wanted to get some opinions :D
Better safe than sorry.

I'll do as I had planned. Put my 17s on ;)

·
Registered
9,122 Posts
Ul be fine, like mentioned it won't alter the results of the alignment between wheels.

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Kyle! second opinion helps confidence :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts