SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I’m going to be redoing the headliner on my wagon and called Hydes to ask about buying some Alcantara. They seem to be one of only a few places to source the material. At first they said that Hydes is strictly B2B and they’d send me a list of vendors. But when I received an email back, the sales person informed me that they had asked the boss if they could sell to me direct becase all vendors were over an hour away and that the owner of the company agreed! I’m not sure why I got this special treatment or if its even special treatment but while Alcantara is no crushed silk velvet, but it IS fairly hard to find. So, does anyone have any interest in getting in on a order?

I’m waiting to hear back on the cost for 3 yards. The fabric comes in 56” widths. I’m guessing that this is more than enough for a 855 headliner.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Ooooh yes, I'd be interested. I'm planning on redoing my headliner but I also want alcantara for my redo of steering wheel and shifter boot.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So it’s a little more pricey than I anticipated.

$120/yd.

But I’ve latched on to the idea of 1/8” memory foam with Alcantara over, and its hard to let go. So I’ll still be putting in an order.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
So are you ordering 3 yards?

Why is alcantara difficult to find? I didn't know that was the case because I haven't arrived yet at the step of replacing my headliner for me to find out.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I first searched eBay and found nothing. Then I begrudgingly went to the whole entire internet and came across this, which has lead me on my goose chase.

http://www.thehogring.com/2017/07/17/heres-where-you-can-still-buy-alcantara/

My guess is that they only sell whole yards. I’ll measure tonight and if there is a chance that only 2.5 yards are needed then 2 people could split 5 yards. Maybe...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What colour will you be getting?
I have the beige ceiling. So I’d be trying to match the trim pieces as best I can. I got a full set of handles and lamp frames from a low mileage 850 because mine are in rough shape and have color aged inconsistently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
In for pics of the alcantara fabric when you get it, and the memory foam, and pics of the finished product too. I was going to do this year's ago on another car I had and never got around to it.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At long last, I not only have the sample (they came in 2 weeks ago) but I have them next to the interior parts! I’ve started contracting at a transit agency, and have embraced the bureaucratic project timelines. Anyhow, these are the three samples I got: The darkest is “Pergament”, the peachy one “Bright Nature” and the one that seems to be the best color match is called “Mushroom”. The Pergament actually is an almost identical match to the front seat ceiling light bezels and switches, but there just isn’t enough color continuity in the whole ceiling ensemble for me to take that leap. The missing item is the dreaded sunroof cover handle. They all seem to have aged to a yellowish hue that will just need painting or ignoring.
I need to remeasure the headliner for an accurate length, but unfortunately because of the overlap needed, I think a hole in the yardage will need to be cut for the sunroof opening and a separate length of fabric will be needed for the sunroof cover.

I was actually pretty surprised at the stiffness of the fabric, I was hoping the fabric would have a little more stretch to it since I got the non-backed version (the backed version is used for upholstery and is less prone to stretching). But we’ll have to see how this works out. I’m really nervous to actually spray the fabric with spray-on adhesive - my concern being that I might get a heavy spot of adhesive that will show through the fabric after glueing. So I’ve decided to get a foam with adhesive backing from McMaster (P/N 8614K81). I know what the adhesive might not have the best bind (good but, not glue) so I’m thinking about tumble drying the fabric with no heat to knock off some of the loose pile that might otherwise negatively effect the bond to the adhesive backing on the foam (I’ll have to ask the people at Hydes about this step). Next I would spray the adhesive on the headliner insert and glue the foam with the Alcantara to that, hoping that if I get a thick patch of glue in any spots, the foam might conceal it. Then I would vacuum bag the stack and let the glue cure. I bought a vacuum pump for my AC, and I’m looking for other uses for it.

If anyone else is interested in getting in on the order, let me know what you think. Again, it was over a $100/yard. But if it works out, it’ll look pretty nice!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts