SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put on a set of Goodyear Eagle Sport all season just over 6,000 miles ago. Came out of a store the other day and while walking up to the rear I noticed the tread looked extremely low, checked with tread depth gauge and I am below 2/32 on the left rear and below 1/32 on the right rear. They are worn evenly from inside to out. The fronts have 8/32 worn evenly as well. I'm meticulous with pressures: checked and set very regularly. The car is mainly used for my wife to go to work- maybe 15 miles a day thru town, and the occasional highway trip. I've worked in a dealership service department as a tech and advisor for the past 15 years and haven't seen tire wear this fast while being evenly worn. Any idea what could be causing this?

The car is an 04 S60R with the 235/45/17.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Put on a set of Goodyear Eagle Sport all season just over 6,000 miles ago. Came out of a store the other day and while walking up to the rear I noticed the tread looked extremely low, checked with tread depth gauge and I am below 2/32 on the left rear and below 1/32 on the right rear. They are worn evenly from inside to out. The fronts have 8/32 worn evenly as well. I'm meticulous with pressures: checked and set very regularly. The car is mainly used for my wife to go to work- maybe 15 miles a day thru town, and the occasional highway trip. I've worked in a dealership service department as a tech and advisor for the past 15 years and haven't seen tire wear this fast while being evenly worn. Any idea what could be causing this?

The car is an 04 S60R with the 235/45/17.
Rear toe

·
Registered
71 Posts
^^^

·
Registered
701 Posts
Take a look at the bushings on the rear toe links especially the ones inboard with the adjuster. I aligned the rear of mine and found that those bushings were torn pretty badly probably from past alignments. I replaced the inners with poly ones from Siberian Bushings and used OEM outers. I did all this just recently so I can't speak to any improvements in tire wear but the handing sure seemed to have improved.

Cheers,

Bill

·
Registered
751 Posts
Check these bushings.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Did you have an alignment performed after the tires were installed? What did the old tires that were removed look like?

Pictures?

·
Registered
745 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
The ipd bushings in the link above are for chamber adjustment. It looks like that is not your problem as you have even wear. Just look for the bushing wear as said above. First replace the worn out bushing of the trailing arms. If you have factory suspension setup you should not need the ipd toe links with good bushings installed. The factory ones have adjustment to. Just make sure you get an alignment done. If the alignment shop can't get the toe in the specs after all this then look at the ipd toe links. Do not use a "hammer" bigger than needed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts