SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone - can you guys help with an alarm that doesn't go off? To clarify, it's not the full alarm, more like a dull whirring (think cop siren but at a very low volume) with some flashing of lights. I've locked and unlocked the car using the remote, hit the red triangle to set off the full alarm, started the car, kept it unlocked but it still goes off.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Disconnect the battery I guess.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Hey Everyone - can you guys help with an alarm that doesn't go off? To clarify, it's not the full alarm, more like a dull whirring (think cop siren but at a very low volume) with some flashing of lights. I've locked and unlocked the car using the remote, hit the red triangle to set off the full alarm, started the car, kept it unlocked but it still goes off.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Pull the fuse for now, if you want it to not keep making noise in the meantime.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think it's the siren module as none of the symptoms on that thread apply. It's a dull siren, with some noise but nothing blaring. Also, the door locks work, as do the windows and when I started the car, there were no warning lights. It's been unlocked now for the last 30 mins and no "alarm." I want to make sure you guys understand that it's not the full alarm that goes off (you know, the really, really loud one with horns, flashing lights, etc.). You can't mistake the two. Any thoughts on even what this "alarm" is? A pre-alarm? What's the purpose of it?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Did you get the VR new or used? If used could the PO have installed a secondary alarm or messed with it somehow? Can you figure out where the alarm noise is coming from and seeing if it's the OEM siren or an aftermarket one?

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Is it a very high pitched alarm sound? Usually goes off when you lock the car and open the door from the inside without hitting any unlock buttons. Roll down the window, lock the car and open the door from the inside. See if that's the sound your talking about.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, it is a very dull sounding alarm coming from what sounds like the front of the car. If I didn't live in such a quiet neighborhood, you wouldn't hear it. A lawnmower would drown it out for sure. So maybe calling it an "alarm" is stretch, maybe a warning sound of some sort? But if that's the case, I would assume a warning light would come on in the car. Very odd.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I don't think it's the siren module as none of the symptoms on that thread apply. It's a dull siren, with some noise but nothing blaring. Also, the door locks work, as do the windows and when I started the car, there were no warning lights. It's been unlocked now for the last 30 mins and no "alarm." I want to make sure you guys understand that it's not the full alarm that goes off (you know, the really, really loud one with horns, flashing lights, etc.). You can't mistake the two. Any thoughts on even what this "alarm" is? A pre-alarm? What's the purpose of it?
Read this thread:
http://forums.swedespeed.com/showthread.php?149712-Replaced-Alarm-Siren

Only other thought is your main car battery, how old is it?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Have you tried using the key to unlock the door? I remember I used to have an alarm that would go off sometimes and IIRC, I either had to use the key to unlock the doors or put in ignition and turn one click to dsiable it. But I did also read that you already tried to start the car...

·
Registered
179 Posts
jadedj: That is an old battery. I am actually a bit surprised that you are not finding trouble with it yet. But, your best bet for now is to pull the fuse. It is probably the siren module.

The following is not meant to hijack the thread, but a simple aside:

I have noticed that the alarm goes off even if you open your car or trunk with the physical key instead of unlocking it with the fob. Is this intended behavior? I thought it was a bit curious.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Another thought: Are you sure you aren't confusing it with the interior fans? If you ran the car with AC, they turn on about 20 minutes after you turn off the car, purportedly to eliminate moisture from the HVAC lines. Remember, the fans are on inside the car, it isn't the radiator fan the continues running for a couple minutes after you turn off the car.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No sound now, for over 2 hours. Odd.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
any suggestions on a new battery for a 2004 VR with 60K miles? I'm assuming it's the original battery. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
FYI, there are two different alarms on the car. One is the panic button, which is the red button on the key fob that sets off the horn and lights. The other is the security alarm which engages when locked with the key fob. This one only triggers in security conditions, like if the car is tilted or if a window is broken. It is a siren located in the front fender of the car, notorious for going bad. A symptom is that your sunroof may stop working.

Either way, yeah start by replacing your battery if it is original.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
i've experienced the same issue a few times. It happened once a few years ago, i came home late and was wondering what idiots car alarm was going off then realized i be that idiot! figured the module was on it's way out and never touched it. Few weeks ago i got to my friends house, locked the car and went inside for a little while. She had to run out to the store and told me my lights were on. My alarm was very mutely going off and the hazards were flashing as well. No message at all in the DIM. Left the car unlocked for the night and has been fine since. Not sure what's up and honestly don't care. Car is a 05 with the original battery

1 - 18 of 18 Posts