SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Akebono front/rear pads for our R's!

Looks like the Akebono ASP1001 fits the 2005 Cadillac CTS-V (yes, i know the pistons are smaller on our R's) and all the other cars our front brakes are shared with. Just ordered a set and will report back on fitment. I ordered the EUR592's for the rear as I need a set of those as well. I got the last and i think only set of ASP1001's off Amazon, so looks like i'll be flying solo with these :).

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brak...ac&autoModel=CTS-V&autoYear=2005&autoModClar=

·
Registered
329 Posts
Chris @ FCP Groton mentioned trying to get the front Akebono pads for the R's.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chris @ FCP Groton mentioned trying to get the front Akebono pads for the R's.
I called them today and they said there are none for it. I'll reply here with updates as soon as I get them in and installed. Probably on Sunday, as Saturday I'll be underneath the C70.

Sent while in DEFCON Brown.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I called them today and they said there are none for it. I'll reply here with updates as soon as I get them in and installed. Probably on Sunday, as Saturday I'll be underneath the C70.

I spoke with him Saturday before last and he mentioned something of contacting Akebono to get a listing for a front pad set as they already have a listing for the rear axle fitment.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmm, I'll def let him know what I find. I emailed Denis @ Akebono today and am awaiting a reply. The pads I got were the street performance ones, not the euro ceramics like the rears. I read some reviews of the app's and they seem to be just like the euro's with a little more bite which is great for our heavy front ends. I used them on my 540i and they were great.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'm currently running the Hawk HPS pads on new Brembo blanks, I'm not exactly thrilled with the pads so far, but they seem to be quieting down and I'm getting used to the difference in pedal feel/application versus the OE pad set. Considering ordering replacement OEM pads from FCP, still haven't made my mind up. The Akebono pads do seem to be highly recommended on other car forums.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm currently running the Hawk HPS pads on new Brembo blanks, I'm not exactly thrilled with the pads so far, but they seem to be quieting down and I'm getting used to the difference in pedal feel/application versus the OE pad set. Considering ordering replacement OEM pads from FCP, still haven't made my mind up. The Akebono pads do seem to be highly recommended on other car forums.
I'm not a fan of hawk either. I have OEM on now, hold off and I'll post a review of the akebonos.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a reply from Denis @ Akebono!

Bimmerd00d,

Akebono provides ASP1001 for front pads on your 2004 S60R. They are available and can be ordered from any Akebono distributor. ASP is Akebono Performance and is a step up from our ACT or EUR pads.

Denis Chadwick | Manager Catalog Data Services
Akebono Brake Corporation

T: 270-234-5540 | C: 270-268-8125 |
E: [email protected]
310 Ring Rd., Elizabethtown, KY 42701 | www.akebonobrakes.com

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
^ WIN

Looks like this is my next set of pads.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I think they are still ceremic brake pads....
Performance is questionable.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think they are still ceremic brake pads....
Performance is questionable.
Oh there no question they're ceramic. However akebonos are known to have the best bite of the ceramic pads, equal to stock if not slightly better and zero dust.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Any update? Are they on? Did they fit? review?\
So many questions!

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Any update? Are they on? Did they fit? review?\
So many questions!
Ended up having to replace tie rods on the wife's c70 this past weekend and then a dyno day popped up...it's put off until next weekend. I need some rear rotors anyway. Thinking of going with O'Reilly rotors, they will replace them for free as long as I own the car. Thoughts?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Please let us know the outcome. I'm due for a brake job soon. 😁

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Please let us know the outcome. I'm due for a brake job soon. ��
The fronts fit, they're quiet, stop as well if not better than the OEM's that came off....no complaints at all. I'm going to pick up the rear rotors sometime this week and toss EUR592's on the back. I didn't realize how easy the pad replacement was on these calipers. I was looking for these because of the lack of dust, and Akebono's tend to bite pretty hard for a ceramic pad.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
bumping this back up after 6mos. These pads are GREAT. No complaints, zero dust, stock bite, GREAT in the rain. I need to put them on my 740iL, no idea why but in the rain that thing has at least half a second before the pads bite when it's raining heavily.

·
Registered
915 Posts
I've got the Stoptech from tire rack. I dig them, great initial bite, little to zero fade. No noise, very little dust. Good bud of mine has the AB on his mkIV he likes them. I've always heard great things about them in regards of BMW. I'm glad you like them.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Updating an old thread. I just spoke with an Akebono engineer, super nice and very informative. He actually instilled a lot of confidence in me about Akebono brakes.
The performance line of ceramic pads for the p2 R's are a ASP1001 for the front.
For the rear the only listed option is the euro series line part number eur592.
After visiting some of the ctsv forums I found that some of those guys are running eur592 or ASP1053 in the rear.
The difference in the pad between the eur592 and the asp1053 is that the asp1053 has a squeeler on it. Apparently there is a very minor difference on the back part of the plate but it doesn't look like it will effect anything. The pin placement is identical
I have not tried this swap out, but I wanted to let others know.
That being said, I was told the compound between the two series is "very similar" as in you won't notice a difference. He pretty much said, if having two boxes on your shelf that say the word performance on them is a big deal to you than give it a go, if that doesn't matter then just grab the eur592.
Other interesting information, the number part of their part numbers is the (plate identifier) eur592 uses a 592 plate. That 592 plate is some kind of universal identifier across the aftermarket brake industry. The 592 plate is a design that came out somewhere around the mid 90's. The 1053 plate was closer to 2006.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts