SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I've been a lurker for a long time. I was a member years ago when I purchased an S60R in 2005. Its been a long time but I now have another Volvo. A beater this time.

Anyway, Im curious about the compatibility potential between the transmissions for the T5 and the T6. Is the Aisin Warner TF80SC physically compatible with the S60 T5 engine bolt pattern? or vise versa I.E. will it bolt up? Im basically trying to find out if transmission bolt patterns are identical. Never mind the electronic issues. Has anyone ever just happened to have these components sitting around and lined them up just to see?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting....

So, is the angle gear the same part number or dimensionally identical between the AWD option engines? Meaning that the T5 T6 and B8444S all share the same angle gear? It has been very difficult to find someone who is knowledgeable on volvo transaxle information.

·
Registered
572 Posts
The 5 cylinder & V8 angle gears are very different. The V8's has a rounder casting, I suspect due to the shape of the block. I'm also pretty sure the bolt pattern between the angle gear & transmission is different - but I would have to have another look to confirm.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes,

It would make sense if the V8 gear was larger to handle the torque. I find it interesting that the TF80-SC is listed as the AT option (for certain years) on the V70, XC90 T6 and XC90 V8. I wonder if the bell-housing/front of casting is different or if they interchange to match the engine with the transmission. It should be noted that the bell housing section of the transmission also has the mounting points for the angle gear.

Most manufacturers try to stick with a common part across multiple lines to take advantage of economy of scale. Toyota is a great example of this with their 90's transverse and longitudinal engines sharing a bolt pattern. The exception with Toyota being the V8 with its own special bell housings for the larger engine. I wonder if Volvo is the same?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts