SwedeSpeed - Volvo Performance Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for a bigger intercooler, and the Bell one looks great. But i have to pay the Dutch goverment 12% import taxes and then 19% normal taxes if i Buy it from outside the EU. So that's
gonna be very expensive.

In Holland I only can buy the expensive Heico one €836 or the garrett intercooler for €649, but that one doesn't fill the hole of the grill, that i want to leave out. So i Started looking in England (if i buy from there i have to pay no taxes at all and shippingcost are much lower) for focus ST225 stuff. The chassis is the same and the engine also. If i look at the pictures they are almost the same and the pressure sensor on the intercooler is the same, so that's a big advantage over a universal intercooler.

Has anyone done something like this allready?

some pictures:

I send the company a email, asking about the sizes. Hopefully i get some answers soon.

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
It doesn't fit because of bumper reinforcement bar. In general Focus ST IC's don't fit.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the info. i'm gonna wait the answer for the height so i can measure it.
The second picture is the forge IC, i ad that picture because the original st IC is in the picture and it's looking preety much the same as the volvo IC.
The iartec is less high i think. I'll keep you posted, once i got the measurements i gonna measure it on my volvo.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so yours is 7.8"and its fits? I don't know the height of the ford IC, when one of the dealers send me the measurements i'll let you know.
But if 7.8"fits i'm getting interested for a project lol.

Do you have a picture of your IC?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you, now i have the sizes of a IC that fits, now trying to get the Ford Sizes. I Had contact with kyle, he might had one for sale,
but then i started looking for other options. And i Think a might found a good and cheap one now. We'll see.

THe intercooler testresults on the website:

Torque of the Devil Rolling Road test results! 31/01/2009
Gen 3 Test results
:296.4 bhp Brake horse power figure was impressive!
:390 lbs/ft Massive Torque curve
:148 degree's Inlet Temperture
:30 degree's Outlet Temperture

Standard Ford Intercooler Test results
:275 bhp Brake horse power figure was down on power compared to Gen 3
:350 lbs/ft Torque was also down compared to Gen 3
:144 degree's Inlet Temperture
:66 degree's Outlet Temperture

·
Registered
3,256 Posts
Airtec looks smexxxy. huge difference in that outlet temp.
price of the unit?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it's 299 in the UK, that's about $475 and €380. But shipping to Holland will be cheaper then from USA
and i have to pay no taxes. so i think with shipping it cost me €440.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
OK

i was looking for a bigger intercooler, and the bell one looks great. But i have to pay the dutch goverment 12% import taxes and then 19% normal taxes if i buy it from outside the eu. So that's gonna be very expensive.

Some pictures: Are Not Accurate !

i send the company a email, asking about the sizes. Hopefully i get some answers soon.
the picture is of a rs intercooler - not 1st generation - st fords - check other sites .

check it out !

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wich picture do you mean? Thoose are examples. If i get the sizes i'll go for this one:

This one is for a MK2 ST

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This evening i removed the bumper of the car and dit some measuring about what i think is the max size. The 7.8 inch on the forcefed is really the max height.
and then i think it's minimum 0.5" lower then the original one. i came to 7.5" max height . Max lenght i think is about 35" to be able to connect it. Core lenght
ideal to fill the gap is about 24.4" max of 2.6" thickness to fit a long IC.

·
Registered
837 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I got some sizes, just waiting for an answer on a extra guestion. The sizes are: 35.4" x 6.7" x 2.4" Core is 26.4"
I asked for some extra pictures so i can see the connections and the place of the pressure sensor.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
AGAIN ! - Check - ST is a Differant Fit on Plumbing !

The RS MK2 2009-2011 will fit the Stock Unit has 10 rows where Our stock Unit
has 7 rows .

Have seen the RS units available for - $150.00

Wich picture do you mean? Thoose are examples. If i get the sizes i'll go for this one:

This one is for a MK2 ST

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Subscribed, I like where this is going.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm going to give up the idea of the focus IC. I just made a call to the UK and spoke with a technician. The ST IC has no IAT sensor in it, but in the boostpipe.
The RS MK2 IC does have this sensor on the right place but the IC is to big to fit a S40. So i'll wait if Kyle has one for sale i would here this or next week
or maybe i go to the local tuningshop and discuss the options with him. And the last option is to buy a garrett, evolve or Heico IC.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
You just need top find a local shop to add in the sensor mount to whatever IC you want. If the ST IC will fit, grab it, and take it to a shop to have them add the IAT sensor mount.

Seems like a simple thing to me, is there something that I am missing?

·
Registered
9,114 Posts
The IAT sensor mount is something that Eric makes from flat bar aluminum. We took measurements on the stock sensor and make them accordingly. A fab shop should be able to do the same fairly easily. From there rigging up an assortment of couplers and reducers would be the next step to use a universal FMIC like MM.

We went to hard pipe route for direct installation and less risk of potential boost leaks. Figured the car already had enough couplers in the system haha.

Did anyone ever do a silicone coupler kit? Long overdue in my opinion. Those stock couplers are pretty soft and would imagine expand quite a bit under high boost.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
The IAT sensor mount is something that Eric makes from flat bar aluminum. We took measurements on the stock sensor and make them accordingly. A fab shop should be able to do the same fairly easily. From there rigging up an assortment of couplers and reducers would be the next step to use a universal FMIC like MM.
Here's the temp sensor mount on mine.

And here's my intercooler installed with silicone couplers:

Did anyone ever do a silicone coupler kit?
http://elevatecars.com/node/2468

1 - 20 of 30 Posts